Thread: Changing Sound Fonts on PC-U for dummies. ;)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Changing Sound Fonts on PC-U for dummies. ;)

Which is not meant to call you a dummy, but rather to include all steps in the process so that ANYONE should be able to follow the steps and win.

First, things you'll need:

- a means of extracting the microSD card from the saber. e.g. needle nose pliers, tweezers, hemostats, etc. something to extract the micro SD card from the hilt. If the PC is out of the saber - all is good... I say this because I've totally completed a saber and then *blink, blink* realize that I have no way to get the SD card out. duh.

- SD card reader (most computers have them, but some don't)

- micro SD adaptor

1. Once you have the SD card inserted in your computer, and have the folder open, you should see the .wav files and .txt files. The PC reads the files directly from that main folder, and will not read files in sub-folders.

2. There are 24 files that MUST be present, and MUST have the correct file name for the PC to read them correctly. They are:

config.txt
    leds.txt
    boot.wav
    blaster.wav
    clash1.wav
    clash2.wav
    clash3.wav
    clash4.wav
    clash5.wav
    clash6.wav
    clash7.wav
    clash8.wav
    hum.wav
    lockup.wav
    poweron.wav
    poweroff.wav
    swing1.wav
    swing2.wav
    swing3.wav
    swing4.wav
    swing5.wav
    swing6.wav
    swing7.wav
    swing8.wav

3. The config.txt, leds.txt, and boot.wav don't have to be swapped out every time you change sound fonts, but all other sound files need to be changed because the background hum is mixed under the foreground sound.

4. Replace the 21 sounds for the new font. It is recommended that you copy and paste all 21 files from another folder - all at one time.

- I, me, eastern57, further recommend that you format the card first and then copy and paste ALL 24 files at one time. Ordinarily, it should not be necessary to do this, but sometimes a card formatting is required for the PC to sync up completely. A good indicator of this is you will hear beeps in place of a sound file that isn't recognized. ... I just do this every time out of habit and I'm stubborn. You don't need to format the card for changes to .txt, I only recommend it for changes to the whole sound font.

5. Once you paste all the new files over to the SD card, do a quick inventory to see if you have all files and they're all the correct name.

6. Close out the folder, remove the SD card and replace back in the PC. You'll pretty much be able to tell if a sound wasn't swapped, because it will still be an old font sound. If this happens, go through the process again.

- A good way to check (while you're pasting the sounds over) is when you get that message that asks "do you want to replace the old file with this new file?" click "yes" for each individual file. This way, you can visually check to see if all the necessary files are transferring over.

*Crystal Focus ver 4.x and below use .raw format sound files and will not work with PC.

Good luck and Happy Sabering!

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Thank you, Josh! It's good to have this condensed & easily available.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Nice. I have the CFV5 folder saved so I can play with the different sounds whenever I get a PC-U saber made. But I'm not seeing an SD card reader on my laptop. x.x Might be bad news for me. Its a Compaq laptop. I'm only seeing like 3 USB ports. Got any ideas? Theres 2 USB ports on the left side and 1 on the right where the dvd player is at. Thanks for posting this though.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Pick up an externalUSB card reader from Best Buy or some such. I still have my old, slow CF reader for that purpose.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent Josh!

I vote this be stickied.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post

I vote this be stickied.
    2nd that this should be stickied great tut on how to change your soundfont on the PC-U