Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Never ever, ever, ever, loan your saber out

Wow... Just wow... That is just disrespect.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

I can see this is a really difficult situation, both emotionally and perhaps financially job wise, I can only think if he has just left it lying like that for you to find he either a: does not consider it anything important, or b: was too embarrassed to face you, knows it is important and hopes it will go away.
    Before you do make contact with him perhaps try and gauge which of the two it is, then you can start from a position of knowing he either doesn't understand, or is worried he has done wrong. Also, if he does not care, try to find something he does care about, like cars or golf, and equate how he would feel if someone trashed his machine or clubs he loaned.
    Regardless, I truly feel for you mate. Hope something works out.

Wow! You could also offer to sell it to him at prime value so you can afford to replace it. He really should just own up to it. If he's that high up in the company he should be able to afford to pay for his mistake. Definitely something to handle delicately though...both your saber and working relationship.

I'm pretty sure he took the blade holder off. Because the lens and holder are missing. The way the pics are is exactly how I recieved it. So that being said, I think I'm gonna write up an invoice for it, leave it on his desk and walk away. See where that leads and go from there.

I don't know how your relationship is with him to begin, but i would advise against just leaving him a bill on his desk. If you two are normally "cool" with one another, you should be able to go up to hi and say hey listen, this isn't cool. I put a lot of money into this saber and you just destroyed it. I would really appreciate it if you would reimburse me for the damage that you have caused.
    Just handle it very delicately. Let us know. Good luck.

so not cool

i like the bill on the desk idea that would go a bit better then an up front conversation at the start i would think. this saber looks like the caddy at the end of License to Drive again so not cool

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

He owes you a saber...no question about it. He damaged your personal property and that is so wrong.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

I made my 2yr old son's saber out of a sink tube and PVC and he has put that poor thing through hell and it doesn't look as bad as what your boss did. Boss or not, I'd be highly tempted to demonstrate the durability of a thick walled polycarbonate tube... After regular business hours of course lol

Quote Originally Posted by thejedilestat View Post
    i like the bill on the desk idea that would go a bit better then an up front conversation at the start i would think.
    I agree, I'd use the store to add all the parts, including powder coating costs, drill/tap, then give him a print out. Or at least show him the paper while confronting him so he knows this wasn't a cheap toy that's easily replaceable. Time money and care went into your hilt, don't let him off the hook.

Honestly, I get a bit nervous when other people, including my friends, siblings and girlfriend touch any my sabers. If your boss ever wants to use any type of saber, I'd point him to the PVC saber tutorial and tell him he's on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Er Dan Gill View Post
    I'm not sure what he did. He wasn't at the shop today. The saber was laying up against my tool box when I got there. Problem is it's not my immediate boss. He's our regional vp of sales, and pretty much third in charge of the whole company. So I'm not to sure how to handle this.
    If a lightsaber is worth your job, then go talk to him

I would suck it up and file it in the 'must not do ever again' bin.

But honestly... if it's an expensive lightsaber (ie: PC, full crystal chamber, chassis etc etc i would approach him).

If it's not expensive, then i would let it go. He didn't show any sign of apologizing or caring (or he is too scared/shameful to approach you). Ether way, bad boss, bad person.

I don't normally do this but shoot me a PM with where you work, i'll see if my family or I know anyone there. What comes around... goes around Our arms extends quite far
    Last edited by Ronan; 08-20-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"