Thread: The Bol by Ripper

Red face The Bol by Ripper

This is another saber. (The Bol)This is the saber I was working on were I added the switch to the clash. I call it the Bo because, It’s the longest hilt I have made and it reminds me of the ball player Manute Bol. Lol It has a Hasbro Obi-Wan sound board and it’s all PVC. Many coats of paint and gloss. I was going to make this a spare saber. But changed my mind mid build. Hope you like it. Let me know what you think. I’m putting up the

You Tube vid
    http://youtu.be/_oOjRb53-a8

The controls

This time I didn’t go with a copper look. I wanted to do just metal. I couldn’t tell you what kind, I just love the way black paint looks when it’s all weathered down to the raw metal. So let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Ripper; 08-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Looks great, now you need to make a saber called 'ognese'. xD

i'm not knockin your skills or anything i like some of the other things you've done with your sabers and your builds with your son...

Hmm... I think it could be better. I do like the finish and maybe this is the look your going for but i think this could benefit greatly from a little more definition on the hilt so that it doesn't all look the same.

I think that even if you attached a shroud of some sort around it with your own design on it would give it a little more definition and it wont look so similar all the way through.

There's nothing about it that attracts my eye to one portion of it.

But at least your doing it and you continue to get better and better while teaching your son how to be hands on.

I’ve done art all my life so a lil constructive criticism is good. But in art/design or music it’s all in the beholder. I do agree a bit as fore as it not being too detailed. But I was going for that. I didn’t want you eyes going anyplace spacial. There is a lot going on, on a lot of sabers and I’m starting to like simple. Like in design class...”Never be afraid of space. You don’t need to fill up a page.” Thanks for the input.

Thats why i didn't want to say i didn't like it for fear of being rude or something... I'm a graphic designer by trade, so i understand, its what you are going for.
    So i do like what you did (dont get me wrong) as far as craftsmanship and stuff. I dont know i guess it doesn't strike me as being very cohesive.

Well the good thing is that you like it, and you will post more of your stuff and i look forward to seeing your collection grow and change.

It could also be that very rudimentary saber a jedi builds back before the Old Republic... If you were thinking about something different in the sound department, the Green Goblin sound might be cool for your project.

Also i know much about manute bol... i wish he would have been built much better for a longer career in the NBA
    Last edited by Natesroom; 08-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natesroom View Post

If you were thinking about something different in the sound department, the Green Goblin sound might be cool for your project.

Also i know much about manute bol... i wish he would have been built much better for a longer career in the NBA
    How can I get a GG sound? That sounds aewsome to me. Is it in a toy that i can take apart or a font i got to get for CF?

And thanks for the input for-real. I do use it. I may think of what a person says all the time to make me and what I do better. I don't and can't have all the ideas. lol I steel them to. lol If a person always say something nice i feel like they are just saying it and I don't know how it really is to them. It's all good to me. I love it and need ot at times.
    Last edited by Ripper; 08-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...t=green+goblin

That has a lot of information in it about... what i learned is that it was the sword of the green goblin released and it has a board in it that you can take out and use elsewhere.

I like the organic look, It reminds me of the spine of something alien.