Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Child's saber

Default Child's saber

I want to build this for my son's 6th birthday in October. This will be my first build so I appreciate any feedback and help. I am trying to keep it shorter because his height but would like to have sound as well. Not sure if I will use rechargeable power yet or not. I assume, with sound, it is recommended. So I am posting an initial parts list and pic from the builder.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Vi...shlistId=19082

So will there be room for sound, batteries, and recharge port in the pommel? I also haven't decide about the LED setup yet. I know he will want blue. Any suggestions welcome! Blade will probably be 24" but not sure which style and "brand" to go with. It will be used by a 6yr-old so dueling will done. Then I am going to need to build one for his older brother's birthday in January!
    P.S. - I also lack power tools at this point, so I will need to have Tim do any drilling and tapping. I can do all the electrical though with help from a diagram.

I am sure I missed something, but please go easy since it is my first post. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, welcome to TCSS. I'm a new builder as well, still compiling my list. I've come to realize that there's always a lot of stuff you're going to need that you wouldn't have thought about before. So far you've got a good start for the basics, next you need to look into the internals.

One thing you're missing from your externals is a pommel insert.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Se...k=MPS%20insert

You should have enough room for batteries, sound and a recharge port. I've received recommendations about the Rebel Star LED and an 8.7 collimator with all necessary fittings for both. If you'd like, take a look at my "Part Check" thread to see all of the stuff that I've compiled for making my first saber.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-for-purchase)

I made my list by looking at other people's part check lists so I hope it helps you as well. Good luck and MTFBWY.

Quote Originally Posted by whenbearsreign View Post
    One thing you're missing from your externals is a pommel insert.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Se...k=MPS%20insert.
    and one thing everyone misses is the MPS clip.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Clip--P72.aspx

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Thank you both for your quick feedback. I hadn't picked a pommel insert yet because I wasn't sure if I could fit a recharge port in the pommel yet. Also I was going to use an O-ring instead of the clip to secure the insert. I remember Jay Gon doing this in his 40 video Youtube series.

Edit - I added the pommel insert to my wishlist along with the recharge port.
    Last edited by beavis4ever; 07-31-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroChou View Post
    and one thing everyone misses is the MPS clip.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Clip--P72.aspx
    Haha, yeah, I did too

I wouldn't recommend using the o-ring if you're planning a charge port in the pommel, and probably wouldn't advise it either way if it's going to be for a child's saber.
    The o-ring won't have nearly as much holding power as the clip.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender

Quote Originally Posted by KuroChou View Post
    I wouldn't recommend using the o-ring if you're planning a charge port in the pommel, and probably wouldn't advise it either way if it's going to be for a child's saber.
    The o-ring won't have nearly as much holding power as the clip.
    Point taken. Clip added. Lol! Thanks!

What should I decide on next? Soundboard to use, LED system? I am just a little confused at this point because I don't really know much of the differences in soundboards and the power requirements and outputs. I am guessing one of these Hasbro ones will be sufficient?

A hasbro board will be plenty sufficient.
    The sound quality on the 2010's and newer is a lot better than they used to be, and they're by far the smallest option, if you're concerned about space.

If you're using a hasbro, you'll need to decide whether you're using a resistor or a buck puck for your LED.
    If you just use a resistor, the blade will get dimmer as the battery dies, but you can run the whole saber off of a single 3.7v Li-Ion (best bet is the massive 18650).
    If you use a buck puck, the blade and sound volume will be the same throughout discharge, but you'll need a minimum of 5v to power it.
    That means you'll end up using two 16340's (almost the exact same size as a single 18650) or two 14500's.
    If you do go that direction, you'll also need to find a 5v regulator to protect the sound board, because the 7.2-7.4v pack will kill it.

You have been a massive help! Thank you!
    I added the LED stuff to the wishlist along with a buck puck. I am going to use the wiring diagram below. Looks like a 220ohm resistor for the switch, which is out-of-stock. Hence why it is not in my list.

2010ModifiedwithBuckPuckMkII[1].jpg

So I need to buy the 220 resistor, 5V regulator, and a PNP transistor on top on whats in my list. Also a hasbro saber for the soundboard. Then decide on which blade. Does that sound right?

Edit - I need a speaker and holder too I guess. Lol
    Edit 2 - Added speaker, holder, 2 14500s, 2 AA pack, 7V protection circuit, and replacement swing sensor to the wishlist.
    Last edited by beavis4ever; 07-31-2011 at 08:15 PM.

the 14500s are significantly longer than AAs, and won't fit in a holder.
    Even if they did, I wouldn't want to rely on spring pressure alone to hold the pack together.