Thread: Lathing down a hilt for overlay. How much?

Default Lathing down a hilt for overlay. How much?

I know this has been mentioned in build threads but the amount of searching could take a while and this is something I think we need to have stickied. I know this could take a while to list all the PC/paint and overlay possibilities but it would be really handy. Any other variations added would be great. Maybe we could update the first post here to keep them all as one list.

What is the ID of 22gauge sinktube and how much do you need to turn MHS down on the lathe for an overlay/shroud.

22gauge sinktube ID_______ MHS OD_____________

Is 22 gauge sink tube really a specific size like machined stuff? I have found the size vary more than I thought it would between different sources.

The 22gauge I refer to comes from Home depot.

I'm not sure about the 22 gauge, and I don't have access to my calipers ATM. I do know the brass tubes that Jay used I think were close to that size, and Tim lathed the parts down to 1.41in if memory serves. As far as powder coating, it depends on what kind (transparent/candys vs textured black for instance)they have different thickness. From personal experience. 0.05 for transparents. It also depends how many coats you plan to use. more coats=more thick.Same with paints pretty much.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I recall correctly, Jay-gon had his parts turned down to 1.43 OD instead of the usual 1.45.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Last time I used my calipers to have something machined, the machinist corrected me so I don't trust mine.

Tim had turned down parts for the same sinktube before only that time it also had powder coat and was well over a year ago. I originally had intended to use a thin walled sinktube but I had Tim wing it and it end up fitting the thicker walled 22 gauge from Home Depot so all was well.

Ironically and I thought it rung a bell...I found an archived thread in a google search from here I read long long ago...haha...but it said MHS was made for 22 gauge. Not the stuff I got here at Home Depot but I'm not sure it was actual sink tube but a 12" with an elbow. It fit the previous build I had Tim lathe for powder coating since it was too slim for my first sinktube which was thin walled from Canadian Tire that fits MHS like glove.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 07-28-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    If I recall correctly, Jay-gon had his parts turned down to 1.43 OD instead of the usual 1.45.
    You recall correctly. I had Tim turn them to 1.43" o.d. to fit inside the 20ga. commercial grade plumbing tubes I used to use for the brass sabers I built a few years ago.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.