Thread: Swing not working

Default Swing not working

Hi

I have just built my first Saber, and I have used the PC soundboard. I bought the pre-wired one as my soldering is not the best, so I know its connected fine. Problem is the swing seems not to be working. The clash works fine, but just not the swing. I started with the board in the main hilt, but read that sometimes that doesnt always work the best, so I moved it to the choke (suitablly insulated!), but this seems to make no diffrence. I guess I have to play with the settings on the config file but so far even when I put "ls" down to 25, it still makes no difference. Help!

Thanks

Martin

The motion sensor on the board needs to be at least 1" from the spinning center of the saber. The sensor is on the same end of the board as the SD card.

From the PC 2.0 Manual:
    Motion & Gesture detection parameters :
    Swings and clashes are separated using 3 thresholds. A swing motion must exceed ls (low swing) and must remain under hs (high swing). A clash must simply exceed lc (low clash).
    It’s important to maintain a dead-zone between hs and lc to maximize the quality of the motion detection.
    Default parameters have been setup for you and usually, only the “i” parameter has to be touched up.
    However, some special cases can be considered:
    _ The saber is not sensitive enough to the swing (placement in the hilt too close to the spinning center, spinning style etc) : decrease parameter ls of one point of two. Don’t decrease ls too much or undesired swing sounds will be triggered.
    _ When the saber cuts the air too fast, the swing is not triggered (it’s in the dead-zone). Increase a little bit parameter hs(or reduce the speed of your swings).
    _ The saber often produces a clash sound when the user executes a swing: parameter hs is probably too high and too close to parameter lc. If the clash sensitivity is correct, decrease parameter hs.
    _ The saber is not sensitive enough to clashes: decrease parameter lc.
    _ The user wants the clash to happen only when blade is smacked very hard: increase lc (keep it under 1023).

Rule of the thumb for a proper configuration process: modify only a single parameter at once and work separately on clash and swing parameters. Fine tuning the module might take some time, but a good configuration will lead you to a very satisfying interaction with the saber.
    I would try decreasing the ls value a bit at a time until you get the results you're looking for. Also be sure you haven't decreased the hs to the point that swings won't be triggered. Swings have to fall between the two values.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks, will do. what do you suggest the "i" value to be set at?

I've never fiddled with the "i" setting on my saber, so it's still default. I have heard good things about adjusting "i" to 0.75 or 0.80, but that was with the PC 1.6. I'm pretty sure that translates to 75 and 80 with the PC 2.0.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

maybe the hs is too low?
    [edit]
    as setting is supposed to be between.. IS < HS .. so if you swap the values, the controller says, its not between its parameters, and immediatly sets to 0
    Quote Originally Posted by mondas42 View Post
    Hi

I have just built my first Saber, and I have used the PC soundboard. I bought the pre-wired one as my soldering is not the best, so I know its connected fine. Problem is the swing seems not to be working. The clash works fine, but just not the swing. I started with the board in the main hilt, but read that sometimes that doesnt always work the best, so I moved it to the choke (suitablly insulated!), but this seems to make no diffrence. I guess I have to play with the settings on the config file but so far even when I put "ls" down to 25, it still makes no difference. Help!

Thanks

Martin
    Last edited by mrknify; 07-15-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: re my point of view from what was written..

i is the sensitivity setting, the higher the number the more sensitive it is. When I calibrated mine, I went back and forth tweaking ls and i until I found the sweet spot where I could easy trigger a swing when a wanted without having many accident swings set off. If you want a sure fire way to make sure the swings are actually working, set the volume at 4 and turn i all the way up. At max sensitivity and max volume, the vibrations of the speaker will set off the swings.