Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MHS Sleeve Vs Sink tube.

the choice is up to you.. its a personal preference really.

the sinktube is thinner..

the sleeve material is thicker.. what would look better on your build?

over-all "I" prefer the sleeve material.. its more forgiving, can be buffed/polished & machined.

(sinktube also has brass edges on cuts underneath)

but if you need a 'thinner' material to complete the 'look' you are going for.. sinktube has the advantage there. (its also cheaper in chrome plated style)

I know that sinktube tends to expand, so Im looking for a "better" way of fitting it around my build. As in what ID should I look for? This is just in case I can't get the MHS Sleeve. I really want the MHS Sleeve, which in that case, I can just talk to Tim about it.
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

regular MHS parts have an OD of 1.45 or so..

sooooo...... anything you use will need to have an ID of 1.45+ to fit over it..

Okay thanks a bunch. I've decided to go with the mhs sleeve. That could've made or broke the way my saber build would go.
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

Greetings everyone! I know this thread has been untouched for a while but I figured I'd post a question here since. I'm getting ready to start making my first saber hilt and plan to use the sleeve from TCSS. Just wondering what the best way is to attach it to the hilt so that it doesn't just come sliding off every time I use it. I've looked at some photos of other sabers that look like they riveted the sleeve in place but that seems unlikely as I doubt rivets would penetrate machined aluminum, though I could be mistaken. Thanks for the info!
    "You've failed your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

just drill and tap some screw holes to attach the sleeve to the hilt proper.The extra thickness isn't that noticable and as for the shine, well make friends with several grades of sand paper and start sanding
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

I had a feeling drilling and tapping would be involved on that. Sounds like a plan to me. And yeah any finishing issues can be resolved with sandpaper!

It's also possible to use hidden set screws to hold the shroud in place. You drill and tap a hole in the MHS piece, slide the shroud over it, and then use a set screw from the inside to secure the shroud.

You'll have it held in place invisibly, and it works quite well. It's just trickier to do if you have fat fingers.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    It's also possible to use hidden set screws to hold the shroud in place. You drill and tap a hole in the MHS piece, slide the shroud over it, and then use a set screw from the inside to secure the shroud.

You'll have it held in place invisibly, and it works quite well. It's just trickier to do if you have fat fingers.
    Why I haven't think about that? nice tip there SS, thanks!
    Clicky Sig =>

Wow. That is an interesting idea on using screws inside. Something I have thought of is using epoxy like JB Weld to secure it in place. Though I will have to make sure I only attach in to one piece of he saber so it can rotate when I unscrew it. As JB Weld is pretty solid I'm not sure if it's the best to use as far as epoxy goes. There may be something less prone to cracking with impact that I could use.