Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MHS Sleeve Vs Sink tube.

you could always polish the mhs sleeve yourself get some 1500 to 2000 grit sand paper and i got this at a kenworth dealer (truck stuff) and do what the label says after you've sanded it. it should come out a little more shiny than the sink tube IMG_2112.jpg

Awesome, thanks, this will make my designs even better looking (and a wee bit more affordable)
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

The biggest issue with sink tube overlays is that the sink tubes were made for, well, sinks. The manufacturers have plumbing use foremost [or only] in mind so they make sure the Outside Diameter is correct for fitting sink tubes to sinks, pipes etc. Sometimes in manufacturing the tube wall thickness can vary a slight amount which affects the Inside Diameter but they aren't so concerned about that since a sink tube will only be carrying water eh not fitting over precisely CNC machined tubes with exacting tolerances...oh wait it will for us, we HOPE...

I've found the TCSS sink tube to fit well - Strydur knows what we need eh, and the Canadian Tire tube found up here fits well too, but others...not so much... YMMV of course and you could always take calipers to the hardware store and measure the inside diameter I suppose.

The TCSS sleeve material should be more consistent dimensionally and therefore a better choice for you to use for MHS overlays eh? The longer length can do a couple of shrouds improving cost effectiveness. And it will polish [try Mothers mag polish] without brass edges as others have said. *in Grail Knight voice* You have chosen wisely.

And how much harder is the sleeve material to cut? Ive done some practice at home with a dremmel on brass sink tube, but can a dremmel stil cut the sleeve material? I know it wont be as easy, but is it still pretty managable? and what dremmel bit would be the best to use?
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Dremel cuts sleeve material just fine. It takes a little longer since the sleeve material is thicker, but it's still quite manageable. I recommend using the reinforced cutting wheels.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thank you, much appreciated
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Sinktube sleeve:

MHS sleeve:

The difference it can make in the layered look of a saber is huge. Sure, the MHS sleeve is a bit harder to work, but I think the results speak for themselves. Of course, there are instances when the chrome sinktube actually works better with a saber design:

So, I guess my point is, pick which one will work with your design the best, and go with it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Wow, very nice...thank you for the picture comparison
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

I have a question about the specific type of sleeve or sink tube I should use.
    For this picture below, I want to find the right material to fit over my mhs parts.

Sleeve Saber.jpg

One represents the saber with the sleeve, the other without.
    Im using:

MPS Pommel Style 4
    MHS Ribbed Extension w/ Wet Black P
    4 Inch double Female Threaded Connector w/ Wet Black PC
    Screw on LED Blade Holder Style 19 w/ Wet Black PC
    Double Ended Male Threaded Connector Style 1 w/ Wet Black PC
    1.2" Double Female

What kind of tube or sleeve would best fit this build?
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

Define "better or best". Be more specific.