Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MHS Sleeve Vs Sink tube.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

I've never used either one, but I recomend the MHS Sleeve Material

Yeah I've found that using sleeve material delivers an awesome result. It's easy to cut with a rotary tool (make sure you have plenty of cutting blades) and however much you use for one build, the leftovers can be used to make another. The sleeve is easy to apply paint to and polishes easily (car polish is very effective for this). Another upside is that it can be threaded easily for screws.
    Having said that, I have yet to try out the sinktube for its brass finish. After all, there's no substitute for real brass
    Last edited by face palm; 08-02-2011 at 11:50 PM.

I can't vouch for other's experiences, but when I used sink tube for my first shroud, I noticed it didn't quite fit snugly. When I put a blade holder screw in on one end and it was pinched between the screw and the blade holder, I could slip a bit of paper between the sink tube and the blade holder on the opposite side from the retention screw.

As I've never used the sleeve material yet, I know not how snug it fits...

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Sleeve material is VERY snug. I slipped it on over a V-grooved Ribbed extension, and a style 13 blade holder and there was an almost suctiony feeling of the light friction between the sleeve and the pieces.
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

It sounds to me like it's going to be the MHS sleeve then. I've also just seen another design which uses it in a sort of similar way and it looked great. Hope it won't be too bad to polish as i'll have to do that by hand.
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."

Agreed with the comments above - One thing I will add though is that personally, in my builds, I choose the material based more upon the thickness that the saber needs and the aesthetics afterwards (i.e. I make the choice on this question: does the saber look better with a thin shroud or a thick one?). To me, both fit relatively snugly. Both can be dremeled, although the sleeve obviously takes a tad longer cause the material is thicker. Both also need to usually be screwed down into the main hilt somehow as well. Both take to powdercoat fairly well.

-C
    LOCKHEED

Excellent point Cannibal...Prime example right here. Chrome, brass and sleeve all on one saber. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ystal-Chambers

Another question for this sleeve vs sink tube...can you use the 1.5 sink tube to mhs adapter on the mhs sleeve material as well?
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mortis View Post
    Another question for this sleeve vs sink tube...can you use the 1.5 sink tube to mhs adapter on the mhs sleeve material as well?
    Yes. The 1 1/2" sinktube adapter has the same outside diameter as the regular MHS parts.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mortis View Post
    Jay-gon is correct, in fact I have a pic to that point,

You can see where the pommel on my hilt is, the big ring of metal is MHS sleeve material. I had some trouble with MHS threads and ended up having to rebuild. In doing so I used MHS to sink tube adapter. It fit quite well .
    Obviously my vote is MHS sleeve for my two credits worth, I will say that paint, and powder coating make the sleeve real tight. But using the sleeve is sooo worth it. Good to tap, easy to cut, and if you drop your hilt on a hard surface the MHS sleeve will hold up better then the brass.
    Hoped this helped.
    Last edited by Noyl Wendor; 08-14-2011 at 10:18 AM.