Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Crusader" by Sliverwing

Default "Crusader" by Sliverwing

After a long period of study, practice, and planning, I present my first lightsaber, which also happens to be an MHS saber.

CRUSADER

I've always loved the Luke ROTJ/Obi-Wan ROTS style hilts, so I wanted to base my first on the spirit of those lightsabers.

I'm happy with the resulting look and feel, and I'm hooked! You can be sure I'll be back with more sabers soon enough.

Its current internals are as follows:

Luxeon Lux V LED
    Plecter Labs' Petit Crouton Sound Module (PC-U v1.5) running the Light Meat font
    Momentary switch w/ built in Accent LED for Power on/off
    Momentary switch for blaster/clash sounds
    Wired with recharge port mounted in the pommel through MPS
    Premium Speaker from TCSS (I need to replace it; I think I damaged it somehow in assembly. It was loud at first, but after I put it all together it has become VERY quiet.)
    7.4v 900mA(?) battery pack

(Note: Battery pack was acquired long ago for another configuration with the Lux V without the PC-U. Thus, my memory of the current from the pack is lapsed, other than that I tried to optimize it for the Lux V.)

It's a simple MHS build in comparison to many I have seen here at TCSS, but it's fun and it's the style of hilt I like. I'll probably do some painting in the future. I appreciate comments and criticisms! =]

A great looking saber! Clean, commemorative, and one that would shine in ANY collection. I think the whole level of saber builds have been so amazing lately that simple, straight sabers and their builders seem to compare them against say, a slothfurnace, and go ,well, it's OK...compared... But I love some of the simpler ones more than crystal chambered, multi-level shrouded, CAD built ones. Partially because I like simple, and partially because I think, 'I could own a saber like that!'. Congrats on a top first build!

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    A great looking saber! Clean, commemorative, and one that would shine in ANY collection. I think the whole level of saber builds have been so amazing lately that simple, straight sabers and their builders seem to compare them against say, a slothfurnace, and go ,well, it's OK...compared... But I love some of the simpler ones more than crystal chambered, multi-level shrouded, CAD built ones. Partially because I like simple, and partially because I think, 'I could own a saber like that!'. Congrats on a top first build!
    Ditto that. My saber was born from a similar philosophy. Mainly because I lack the skills and tools to do something more elaborate. How would a true Jedi's saber look anyway? I suppose it would reflect his background and skill level much like building one here does. Would it be a completely utilitarian, rugged and straight forward weapon? Or would it be one born of aristocracy and skilled craftsmanship? I suppose if I had a Jedi Master mentor and all the resources of the Republic and the Jedi temple at my disposal, I would build one type of saber. If I just lost the lightsaber I inherited and had to build one in a hurry and all I had was spare parts I found in Ben Kenobi's old hut on Tatooine, it would be another type. Nice job! There's nothing like the feeling of completing your first build and hitting that activation switch the first time! A far cry from the flashlight and plastic tube "lightsaber" I had as a kid. I even had to supply my own "sound effects."
    "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." -- Genesis 3:24 Lightsabers are real.

Thanks guys!

Brett:
    I like that simple look too! It's daunting to see these awesome creations, but sometimes less is more! A bare-bones hilt that still has its own character is the kind of look lightsabers started with.

Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1 View Post
    Nice job! There's nothing like the feeling of completing your first build and hitting that activation switch the first time! A far cry from the flashlight and plastic tube "lightsaber" I had as a kid. I even had to supply my own "sound effects."
    I know what you mean about that feeling... but unfortunately I'm still craving the full impact of it because that speaker was damaged at the first ignition. I ordered a new speaker though, and I'll be able to experience the Full Power of the Crusader soon enough.

Congratulations on your build! It looks very nice. Adding a little padding (tape, tshirt, etc) to your gripping tools will reduce the risk of marking up the surface of your saber. That being said, you now have an excellent candidate for a weathered saber. Consider looking into using aluminum black or paint to give your saber a well-used appearance.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

great job, looks very well shaped and setup for first time round.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Way nice saber. This is something like what I'm actually wanting to do. But the switch placement will be standard to give it a more TOR look. Going to use BH8 also. I love that blade holder. Looks good with a green blade. Hows that PC-U in person? I haven't got to try one yet. I'm gonna upload the EP.II font onto it though. You gonna add any color to the hilt or keep it plain and simple?

@jedimastergarcia87

Thanks, I love the look of that blade holder too.

I love the Petit Crouton! I still am going to experiment with it; the clash detection is perfect in my build, but I need to adjust the motion detection to be more sensitive. But that said, the very fact that you CAN do that makes a PC or CF invaluable to a saber build!

I learned SO MUCH about everything people do with sabersmithing in making this lightsaber.

For the PC-U, because it does not have on-board font switching etc, it's very important and useful that you take the ability to access the SD card into account when you use cram fu. If you can take it out and replace it without disturbing the rest of the internals, it makes it really useful if you want to alter values or fonts. I am happy that I am able to simply unscrew the grip/choke section from the pommel end of the hilt and that end of the board is RIGHT THERE, and I can simply pop out the micro SD card that way for modifications.

I -do- plan on doing some paint on it, and of course, after I do, I'll update this thread. =]

I was thinking about a classic black-inside-the-grooves job, and maybe a bit of dark green on the lower choke section, just for a touch of unique character. I've also considered maybe doing some light etching on the side of it the main body, opposite the switches and covertec clip.

If you see something or have an idea, feel free to share! I'm sure there are many things that have never even occurred to me.

Looks good, I used to be a big fan of the luke obi style but i see to many of them I cant think of how to make them more unique.
    Some form of shroud work, not sure how far you want to go with paint and such but you got a great base to start with.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

That's a nice first saber! I'm also kind of partial to the Luke/Obi-Wan style of sabers. I did something similar for my second one, except I used the BH #18 (the Qui-Gon style) and put the Graflex-style rubber grips on the 4 inch double female section at the bottom. The thread should be a couple pages down in this forum if you are curious.