Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Making custom Boot sounds for your Crystal focus or Petite Crouton

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Making custom Boot sounds for your Crystal focus or Petite Crouton

We all love custom boot sounds do we not? The boot sound on our CF, or PC saber often defines the personality of said weapon. However, many do not know where to start, or even how to work with sound files. This tutorial will walk you step by step in the creation of any boot sound you may desire from any DVD in the market, using public freeware on the internet.

Let’s begin.

Before you pull out your treasured copy of the Star Wars saga (yes, put it back), you will need to download two free programs.

1. DVDdecrypter. This is available at http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ it is the best way to rip audio and DVD footage to your computer as the quality is the highest I have found.
    2. Audacity. This free audio editor is http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ . It is easy to learn and to use, that’s why I like it.

Now, get the DVD of your choice. (In this case SW TPM) put it in your drive and open up DVDdecrypter.
    When the program starts, you will see this.

Now, go to settings…

And open it up. Go to the IFO mode and select
    - file splitting- none
    - enable stream processing

You can now go back to the home menu, and select the stream processing tab. Uncheck all the boxes, then recheck ONLY the x81 AC3 Audio file. Select your desired location of export… and Let er RIP! (click the big button that has the DVD>HardDrive pic on it.

IT will take a while to rip… so go do something productive while you wait… Like take a nap.

When it is done, you will get a happy sound. Your file will be in the VOB format. Now, before you can open the VOB file, you will need to get the following download (copied from the Audacity forums)
    ---------

1. Download
    Windows:
    1. Download the FFmpeg 0.6.2 installer.
    2. Double-click the .exe file to launch the installer.
    3. Read the License and click Next, Next and Install to install the required files to "C:\Program Files\FFmpeg for Audacity" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\FFmpeg for Audacity" on a 64-bit version of Windows).
     Alternative zip download for FFmpeg 0.6.2 - extract the contents to a folder called "FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_Windows" anywhere on your computer, then follow the instructions below to locate avformat-52.dll in the Libraries Preferences.
    Mac:
    1. Download the FFmpeg 0.6.2 installer.
    2. When you have finished downloading, double-click the .dmg to mount it, then go to the Finder (in Safari, the "FFmpeg Libraries for Audacity" virtual disk image will be extracted and mounted automatically after downloading).
    3. Double-click "FFmpeg Libraries for Audacity.pkg" to launch the standard OS X Installer.
    4. Click through the steps in the Installer, accepting the defaults in all cases; this will install the FFmpeg libraries in /usr/local/lib/audacity.
     Alternative zip download for FFmpeg 0.6.2 - extract the contents to a folder called "FFmpeg_v0.6.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX" anywhere on your computer, then follow the instructions below to locate libavformat-52.dylib in the Libraries Preferences.
     Alternatively, you can build Audacity from SVN and link to a system copy of FFmpeg built from source, using these instructions.
    Linux/Unix:
     You may download (or build) a suitable FFmpeg library for your own purposes. To build, obtain the source code from the FFmpeg project. If you download a pre-built library, this might be either a "shared" or "static" build. A static build consists of a single libavformat library, whereas a shared build has at least three libraries (libavformat, libavcodec and libavutil). It is recommended to use a shared build, but Audacity will also work with a static build.
    If you compile Audacity from source code, it will link to the installed FFmpeg headers, which should always be compatible with an installed FFmpeg binary.
     Audacity 1.3.8 to 1.3.12 inclusive did not compile or work correctly with FFmpeg versions greater than 0.5. If you are not using the latest version of Audacity, please upgrade.
    2. Installation
    The first time you use FFmpeg to import or export, Audacity will ask you to configure Preferences to locate the FFmpeg library. To do this, click Edit > Preferences: Libraries and click the Locate... button, thenBrowse....
    If the "FFmpeg Library Version" says "not found":
    1. Click "Find Library".
    2. If a "Success" message indicates Audacity has now automatically detected the library and asks if you want to detect them manually, click "No", then OK to close Preferences.
    3. If the "Locate FFmpeg" dialog appears, click "Browse...".
    4. Navigate to the avformat library, and select it. It may have different names, such as "avformat-52.dll" on Windows, "libavformat-52.dylib" on Mac or "libavformat.so.52" on Linux.
    5. Click "Open" then "OK", and "OK" again to close Preferences.
    "FFmpeg Library Version" should now show a number. If not, you may have installed the wrong libraries. Click the "Download" button to obtain the correct library for your operating system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After you have done this, open up Audacity and go to file>Import>Raw Data. Choose the VOB. File you ripped, it should open up and look like this.

Now these are all the different sound types on the disk. I like to export the entire thing to a Wav. File and choose sounds from there… so, go to File>Export> and choose the Wav. setting. Open it back up and you will find the file is one large piece of sound. Now the fun begins…

Using the Highlight tool, select any desired portion of the main wav file. After you have selected the piece, Copy the selected portion (Ctrl-C), open another Audacity window, and paste the selected piece into the work area.

With this selected piece you can start to play around with audacity’s features. Increase the volume… add some fade In/Out effects… whatever you like to make the boot sound the best you can make it.

Now, You are almost done, BUT IF YOU DON’T DO THIS NEXT STEP YOUR FILE WON’T WORK!!!
    So here is what you do.
    On the left side of your clip you will see a little box.
    Click the Pull down tab at the top, then go to ”Set Sample Rate”>”16 bit”.
    Then go to the same pull down tab and go to “Set Rate”> 22050htz.

Now, export the file as a Wav format.

Congratulations! You now have a Soundfile that will play on your CF and PC!

Now, to add it to your SD card…
    Simply copy the file and paste it (I usually paste in my desktop), Rename the copied file “boot.wav”. Insert you SD card, delete the boot file from the card (I recommend you back the file up first. ) and move your “boot.wav” file on to the card.

Plug it in to your CF or PC and Enjoy your boot sounds.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. It took a very long time to make, so I ask you make sure and read the entire thing through before asking any questions.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Awesome tutorial...thanks very much for this.

good to know

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Great Tutorial...but can you separate the audio sounds? Say, vocals, battle sounds and music? If so what program would that be?

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    Great Tutorial...but can you separate the audio sounds? Say, vocals, battle sounds and music? If so what program would that be?
    That pic I have in audacity is just that. The multiple sound files before being merged into one. If you isolated one track, you would have soundtrack, vocal, etc...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Got it! I downloaded audacity quite awhile ago. I just have never used it.

Thanks CC

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Great tutorial for my upcoming saber! thanks!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Good tutorial.

Ima Sticky it
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I'm getting a dialogue box when I try to import the data in audacity, which is asking me to specify the encoding, sampling rate etc.
    Are there specific values for these or am I doing something wrong?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Did you install FFmpeg?
    And when you used DVD Decrypt did you uncheck all streams except 0x81 AC3?

When you click Open file in Audacity and browse to your directory where you have your .vob files and select one and say open it should say importing FFmpeg-compatible files take a min or so depending on the size of the VOB and then open up like in his picture above.
    Last edited by Zzan; 09-14-2011 at 11:25 AM.