Thread: Salvage Saber

Default Salvage Saber

I had some materials left over from my last build, including an economy board and ledengin LED emitter that I thought i destroyed from my Hero build by screwing in the blade holder with the lens inside while the heatsink was crocked. Turns out one die of the GGGG emitter survived. Luck? Well that's up for you all to decide there. Also, i had spare MSH sleeve material and a 1 1/4 chrome plated sinktube to use for the main body.
    I'll be mentioning where all these parts came from as well. So, here we go:

SALVAGE SABER

For the body:
    Aluminum MSH Sleeve material (leftover from Hero)
    Brass Hose piece to house the LED (leftover hose assembly parts, garage)
    1 1/4" Sinktube (just lying around my house)
    The pommel is a plastic faucet handle (just lying around the house spray painted glossy black)
    1 1/2" Diameter Basa Wood (located inside to screw on and secure the pommel, from my garage)
    Grip is rubber wrapped twice around the sinktube body (from an old car weather striper in the garage)
    Belt clip is a D-ring (buried in a toolbox of my garage)
    Top of the pommel is the speaker (salvaged from an old toy gun, surprisingly loud like the premiums)
    Screws with an 8-32 measuring (tool box in the garage)

For the internal works:
    Surviving ledengin GGGG (nearly destroyed from Hero)
    2010 Yoda economy board (thought to have been fried from Hero)
    TCSS clash and motion sensors (spares from Hero)
    Wires (from the Obi-wan and Yoda economy lightsabers)
    3 aaa battery pack (cut out from the Obi-wan economy lightsaber, Yoda would've worked fine too)
    Speaker hot glued to pommel (from an old toy gun, surprisingly loud like the premiums)
    Flashlight Switch for LED (taken from a 20 year old flashlight)
    Nail cut out and super glued onto the switch of the Yoda board (garage)

The etched grooves were carved with a rotary tool and painted glossy black

Close up on both switches

The outer diameter of the hose piece can have a blade fitted around it

Comparison to Hero

This was a fun and fairly challenging build because I didn't use standard MSH parts, excluding the sleeve material. This lightsaber will be going to my best friend who won't be coming with me to college like we had all hoped. Education isn't cheap, you know. Being a fellow Star Wars fanatic, I knew he would appreciate something like this. Though, he's gonna have to buy his own blade

I will say this though: never, NEVER use the Yoda sound board. The switch is located on the board itself which drastically limits your freedom on the build. Where ever you put the board you also have to put the switch and you still have to find a way to push to an 'on' position. Plus, it's wider than the Obi-wan and almost just as long. Seriously, do yourself some extra hunting for an Obi-wan economy saber. It is worth it.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Great saber! I can imagine how challenging that must have been! And thanks for the warning on the Econo board. I wasn't planning on using the Yoda, but now I know not to!

Great and creative use of parts, Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by face palm View Post
    I will say this though: never, NEVER use the Yoda sound board. The switch is located on the board itself which drastically limits your freedom on the build. Where ever you put the board you also have to put the switch and you still have to find a way to push to an 'on' position. Plus, it's wider than the Obi-wan and almost just as long. Seriously, do yourself some extra hunting for an Obi-wan economy saber. It is worth it.
    What kind of button is it?
    If it's just a silicone switch-boot, you can peel it off and solder to the traces underneath.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Quote Originally Posted by KuroChou View Post
    What kind of button is it?
    If it's just a silicone switch-boot, you can peel it off and solder to the traces underneath.
    Something like that yeah. The silicone switch can be peeled off easily but soldering a switch on there isn't as gratifying as it sounds. I tried it several times with my first build but it never worked right. 2 times out of 10 it switched on correctly. I kept soldering the wires at every angle and position possible. I tried at the very least 20 times, and thats when things around the switch port turned black (hence I thought i fried it). I got an Obi-wan a couple days later and it was much easier to work with because there were actual terminals to solder the switch to.
    Besides, there was some sport and fun in not sacrificing the silicone switch and having it activate like I have it.
    That, and the fact that I had no extra switch to speak of

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight_Zekk View Post
    Great saber! I can imagine how challenging that must have been! And thanks for the warning on the Econo board. I wasn't planning on using the Yoda, but now I know not to!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdill View Post
    Great and creative use of parts, Well done.
    Thanks guys! Being fairly new, the complements mean a lot!

Blog Entries

for what it is worth i like it...
    "Do or do not....there is no try" - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by hebert466 View Post
    for what it is worth i like it...
    haha thanks!