Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: reed relays

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Diagram1.jpg

so this was what i had in mind......should have sound and more or less full brightness i think, anyone want to chip in?

thats 1000mA bp not a 700mA
    Judge them from the Darkness...

That diagram will work. However, the buckpucks really need a minimum of 5v to run properly. You don't say what your battery solution is going to be. If it gets much under 5v, you'll end up with a saber making sound but no light.

I'd recommend either switching to a resistor, or using a pair of Li-Ions with a 5v regulator to keep from burning out the sound board.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

yep. And I would drive the led as hard as you can. What are you using.

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Going to be using a 6v (4xAAA) batt pack, so i think that should drive the buckpuck and so far it's not fried the board...so far lol

Well fingers crossed, transistors are on the way so hopefully this weekend i should have a look...we'll see what happens

Pics and vids wil be forthcoming

6 is the danger zone for the econo boards. You're kinda playing russian roulette with that one. If it hasn't gone yet, you might be okay, but you should probably get a 5v regulator for it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

If you go with 4 rechargable AAA instead of 4 alkalines the voltage will be a nominal 4.8 volts. (Mine meters out at jsut under 5.1 with a full charge.)

Dan

Force Aware
    Force Aware

will 4.8 be enough to kickstart the buckpuck?

The problem isn't a 4.8 starting voltage as much as when the batteries get low depending on the led you could lose the 1 volt over led vf you need. This is why I recommend a li ion 7.4v pack with most setups and bigger batteries than 14500s if running more than 1 led die.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeKane View Post
    will 4.8 be enough to kickstart the buckpuck?
    It's not a matter of "kick starting" the buck puck, it needs a constant current. 5V is the minimum voltage, but it runs better with higher voltages.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Well i got it all together last night over a couple of beers with my old man, seemed to work ok, but i didn't have it running for too long 1/2 mins max...

Then NIGHTMARE!!! putting my pommel back on (i have a inch or so of blade from the cheap saber for resonance tucked into it) it all caught and twisted...........oh the humanity, wires twisted and broken....the sleepless nights....

So back at it again this morning

As a side note, and I know i'm over stepping the mark, but.....does anyone know where to pick up buckpuck's in the UK? I lost one of mine (wife tidied up lol) and can't really justify $35 P+P for a $15 part....(sorry tim )
    Last edited by JudgeKane; 07-23-2011 at 01:41 AM.