Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: *does no compute* what screw?

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Default *does no compute* what screw?

Okay. So, I need some help (go figure) on which screw to use for a blade retention screw. In the store, I see an 8-32 x 1/2" screw. Is that it? is that bulbous screw? or do I go with the different colored ones near the bottom of the page?

You use whichever screw you want as long as it is long enough.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Okay, what length is long enough and are the colored ones blade retention screws?

What's the diameter of your blade? What's the diameter of your blade holder? So how long does the screw have to be?

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Blade+ 1" i believe. The blade holder is MHS so does that mean it's 1"?

How could the blade and the blade holder possibly have the same outer diameter? No. Try again.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What is "long enough" depends on the blade holder you're using, and where you put the screw.

The anodized thumb screws might be too short for bh #8, for example, if you put it near the top, like you should, but should work fine in blade holder #7 or #10.

I personally prefer a 10-32 screw to an 8-32, to get a slightly bigger "bite" on the blade.

But then, I have a lot of my own screws that I've bought for other projects that I use.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Aww Lor... I was going to see if we could teach him how to fish...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Sorry if you were having fun with him, TR. I decided to take pity on him.

This once.......

And, only my parents get to call me "Lor". I prefer "J-Lo", if you want to make my forum name shorter.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

As JLo says it does matter which holder and location,location,location you put the hole in it...but size can also depend on if/how you are trying to hide the screw [like with setscrew[s] under o-rings in certain BH designs], also 10-32 does get a bigger bite so is functionally best but personally I like 8-32 so that if it ever strips you can easily re-drill-n-tap it for a 10-32 then. Though I've never had to do that yet myself I'm just comfortable knowing I can if necessary...but if I 'gorilla' dueled I'd definitely go with 10-32.