Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Look what i found (scrap parts at work)

Ok thats what i was asking...my purpose in using these parts is to start the process of learning on cheap stuff (free) at my job instead of buying stuff just to blow it up. I can find a lens that i can use for these, and if not i can make one out of Acrlyic and use some of our reflective paint or our Diamond grade Highway reflective vinyl...

So my question is how do i get rid of the pins on the bottom and then how would i attach the wires? As i said above "can I desolder them pull them out and then wire my leads to the correct hole"

I'm figuring i can attach it with Silicone as a buffer between it and the heatsink or another piece of Thermal Conducting Material.

I would order some blank star pcbs and transplant those rebels. They are available in single or triple configs.

oh wow i didnt even know i could do that... how would i do that?

I found some suppliers on the web but i think there all european... any american suppliers preferred? Also is there thread on how to wire these?
    Last edited by Natesroom; 07-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natesroom View Post
    oh wow i didnt even know i could do that... how would i do that?

I found some suppliers on the web but i think there all european... any american suppliers preferred? Also is there thread on how to wire these?
    I have a frying pan dedicated for soldering or desoldering stuff like that. Just put on medium and warm it up.

We're not supposed to link to stuff that's similar to what's offered in the store. And you may have to look over seas for some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I have a frying pan dedicated for soldering or desoldering stuff like that. Just put on medium and warm it up.

We're not supposed to link to stuff that's similar to what's offered in the store. And you may have to look over seas for some stuff.
    Ok so there is something similiar to a blank Star PCB in the Store?? I though i looked around in there for it...

I'm not talking about an LED, but a blank PCB....

Oh i didnt mean how to wire as in soldering but how do you take an LED off of one board and attach it to another... where does it go exactly and stuff like that.

Yeah, you solder them with the hot frying pan. The only way to heat up those pads is to heat the whole thing up and pluck them off. Then pre tin the new star, lay the leds on the board, heat the pan up & they sit down, you remove solder bubble & youre done. Id PM you with more info but your PM no worky.

ahhh i see... Yeah my PM hasnt worked since the day i joined how do i change that?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

In order to be able to send PMs, you need to have made 10 posts (which you have), and have been on the forum for 15 days.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

oh ok... any body else find scrap parts art home or work? I'd love for this thread to be full of weird but somehow useful items that members found

I was walking home from work last november, and found 5' of 5/8" stainless steel roundstock, sitting in a gutter. Still don't know what I'm going to to with it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place