Thread: DPDT Latching green illuminated switch help.

Question DPDT Latching green illuminated switch help.

OK before I blow out another LED switch. I was wondering if anyone new what kind of resistor to use for a DPDT Latching green illuminated switch. I have had illuminated switches in the past but I messed up every one. I have 100 ohm resistors at home. I will be using a 3.7 14500 900mah battery for the saber. Radio Shack led switches are one thing, a $15.00 TCSS switch is too much money to mess up. Until my electronic classes start I won’t understand any tech terms, so please keep it to a dummies level. The specs on the site I don't understand. From what i read. I would think a 100 ohm might be ok?

From the item description in the store (important info bolded):
    DPDT Latching green ring Illuminated switch.

There is no internal resistor on these so you need to use the correct resistor in order to not fry the LED. The LED has a forward voltage of 3.3V and runs at 20mA. 4.8V would use a 82ohm 1/4 watt resistor, 6V would use a 150ohm 1/4 watt resistor. If you are not sure which to use please ask.

Ohm's Law-- See this Sticky elsewhere on the forum (search is your friend) : R = (V / I)

In your case R = ((3.7-3.3)/.020), R= ((.4)/.02), R = 20 Assuming this is wired directly to the battery as you haven't given any other information.

100 ohm will be too much resistance. With the 100ohm resistor you will only be sending I = (V / R), I = ((3.7-3.3)/100), I = .36 mA into the LED, which would make it VERY dim if it lights at all.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Dodds
    Last edited by Zzan; 08-15-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzan View Post
    From the item description in the store:
    DPDT Latching green ring Illuminated switch.

There is no internal resistor on these so you need to use the correct resistor in order to not fry the LED. The LED has a forward voltage of 3.3V and runs at 20mA. 4.8V would use a 82ohm 1/4 watt resistor, 6V would use a 150ohm 1/4 watt resistor. If you are not sure which to use please ask.

Ohms Law-- See this Sticky elsewhere on the forum search is your friend : R = (V / I)

In your case R = ((3.7-3.3)/.020), R= ((.4)/.02), R = 20 Assuming this is wired directly to the battery as you haven't given any other information.

100 ohm will be too much resistance.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Dodds
    100 ohm is too much. I can under stand that part. But everything before. was just .....jkkljds 98&(*68fhk a la*nG^sh..... to me.
    I wasn’t kidding about taking electronics classes. So till I do get into a class I am at a loss when it comes to tech terms.
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply. And thank you for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    100 ohm is too much. I can under stand that part. But everything before. was just .....jkkljds 98&(*68fhk a la*nG^sh..... to me.
    I wasn’t kidding about taking electronics classes. So till I do get into a class I am at a loss when it comes to tech terms.
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply. And thank you for the help!!
    You don't need an electronics course to understand the basics. The sticky I linked above has what you need to know in it.

If you want to wire LED's then you need to know how to calculate how much resistance is needed to not fry them.

It's fairly simple. V = Voltage, I = Current, R = Resistance. You know what you know and don't know what you don't. So plug in what you know and solve for what you don't, just keep your units straight.

There are plenty of examples of how to use this throughout the site. One that comes to mind right off is the example for wiring accent LED's for a Petit Crouton Sound board in the manual which is linked from the item in the store.

The knowledge is here, you just need to read it.

Dodds

I have; I guess confidence issues when it come to electronics. I’ve done well so fare, I need to trust in that. I know that it is all here I just don’t what I’m looking at, at times. Pics help me a million. I do read the posts but finding it and understanding what you find is my issue. Thanks, for the help.

There is a rather useful calculator on the TCSS site HERE

Which (with 'Green Illum switch' selected for the LED choice and '3.6-3.7v' for the battery pack) gives you a 18 Ohm 1/4 Watt resistor

just remember you still need a resistor for the main LED
    Last edited by Jay-Kento; 08-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.