Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Saber Idea Design

One of my favorite sabers (Sith'ari) is just over 14" and if I were to make the saber all over again, I would have gone smaller. I would have either used a 5" double female for the hilt or done something different with the adapters/choke/blade holder section. It is all personal preference. You could get a card board tube or some paper and make it to the length of the saber. That will give you an idea of what it is going to be like in the real world.

Ok...thats what i thought...

For those of you that bought and built our first did you take your time? I'm thinking about ordering just the MHS stuff now and after a weeks of looking at it and messing with it, start ordering some electronics stuff. That is my weakest area BY FAR in my entire life's worth of experience.

I ordered everything I thought I wanted, especially a PC soundboard as I knew that would probably be the best option regardless how many months (years) I took to build it, even though I had to learn how to solder still at that stage. And yes, still played around with the parts for months because of all the options you suddenly realise are open to you with the MHS system. In fact I ended up ordering another lot of parts to be able to change the sabers look even though It is yet to be finished! Just addictive as far as imagination goes I guess.

For my first saber, I purchased everything all at once. It was a simple MHS soundless stunt. If you're not doing much customization to the MHS parts, it'll take all of about 30 seconds to screw them together. At that point you'll be wishing you'd ordered at least simple electronics to go inside.

If you're not comfortable wiring up a sound card right away, by all means get the parts to add light as a minimum. You can always upgrade later. The circuit for a stunt saber is very simple. Just batteries, latching switch, LED, and appropriate resistor (or buckpuck).
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I think this might be my undoing!... i may order enough parts to build three over the next year or so, i could see how a parts order of about 40-50 bucks every few weeks translates into 3 complete sabers...lol

(maybe I missed it) Your first render was a great saber... slightly long (but your putting a lot in there as well)...and as everyon says its personal preference (it doesnt make a huge difference IF your happy) but generally the average (tip to tip) is just over 11 and under 13

Advice:

Sabers can be fun.. addicting even.. and parts are important.. BUT the right parts even more important. Settle a few things down BEFORE you order things.

- First SET a concrete budget (and Goal) for your build.. sticking to a budget keeps your build managable.
    - Next Render/Sketch/design it.. take EVERYTHING into consideration(OD/ID, material type.. use a paper towel roll and ruler) and remember to design the basic interior layout BEFORE you start ordering/cutting/drilling/grinding.
    - NOW you can order the parts to spec (and as long as your design is true you will be more then happy). Also that planning makes your build go together pretty simple

That will help you finish this project strong and without unnecessary spending on your part. If you already have a soldering iron my advice is to.. begin training your.. Fu, my friend. Start by practicing tinning wires (its the most important basic skill to aquire and the easiest one to fix)... Extra long leads and balls of solder create problems down the road I promise you. Find something.. maybe a broken speaker(they are super easy to do so great for practice)... practice soldering leads onto it. Get yourself some Solder Braid for when you invevitably make a mistake.. (its ok we all do, even if only some of us admit it ) but thats how you fix it BEFORE you fry it (so to speak lol). Overall, I think its a great design and look forward to its completion so Good Luck!

~dgdve
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"