Thread: Any LED will work?

Default Any LED will work?

can you use any LED's? I actually have a whole roll of white LED's sitting next to me. I work at a sign shop and i always get LED modules in many different colors. Usually they are encased in a hard plastic square housing like this...

http://www.caogroup.com/PDF/OPTO/Min..._Datasheet.pdf

can you guys decipher the specs and let me know if they are feasible? I literally have dozens of these in white, orange, and amber,

Those will work fine if you want to construct a string blade, but for single source LED blades we use high power multi-watt LEDs, that probably put out 100x as much light as one of the ones in the roll you speak of.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

ok so what number am i looking for specifically? I mean the actual number. I figure lumens is the category, but am i looking for what number i saw in the store it said the white was 320 lumens?
    Last edited by Natesroom; 07-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Anything over 100-120 will work, but the higher the better. Try to shoot for over 200. I personally believe there's no such thing as too high a lumen rating, so it's all about what you can find and fit. Sunrider's SSR90 puts out 2,000+
    That said, the ones in the shop will be the best bang for your buck by far.
    Last edited by KuroChou; 07-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Unless I'm missing something, the average lumens per FOOT is 29 and you need 9 LEDs (in 3 LED sets) to achieve this luminance with an input of 12 volts. If I'm getting this right that means each LED runs at 12 volts producing 3.2 Lumens per LED @ 500-680 mA. Compared to a Luxeon Rebel Star, @ the low end, Blue running at 3.4 volts producing 58 Lumens @ 700mA. They may not be practical for this application unless, as KuroChou said, they are used in a String Blade. If I’m off in this would someone else chime in?
    Last edited by Boj-Vaati Mau; 07-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Yeah those are the cheap LED's my boss buys for signs. I just checked and the same company that sold me these carries the luxeon rebel and has a nice chart of all the lumens at @1500a and @750 I'm gonna see if i can get some of them for free...