Thread: "Ancient Ally" by Takanis

Default "Ancient Ally" by Takanis

This build is special to me in more ways than one. The design is based off of my first sinktube stunt saber and contains the 1st LED that I ever worked on. This project took on a mind of its own. Originally, I was going to just make an MHS stunt version of my sinktube. Then, I thought that I should add sound. I had planned to use a MR Vader board since I feel like the “sith” font sounded a little older/more rugged.

Unbeknownst to me, the top minds in our little hobby were plotting the release of the Petit Crouton-Locked soundboard for public distribution. LDM put up the thread announcement and my mind started tinkering and wondering. A few weeks after the release I made the decision to go ahead and click on that $124.99 “add-to-cart” button and put the PC-L in the build. From there, ideas started flowing and formed into a faux crystal chamber with some custom overlays and some kind of braided wrapping.

This “Sinktube v2” contains many things that I hadn’t tried before. They are all things that I admire and they have helped me step up to a new level in building. Cutting overlays, construction of a li-ion pack (with a protection PCB), PC-L wiring, multiple accent LEDs, weathering, painting and baking, and working with wrapping are all things that I hadn’t tried before. So, why not try to incorporate all of that into 1 build?

Even though the overall design is somewhat basic, I wanted for this to look like a weapon that was carried with honor and that had seen many battles. I didn’t want it too look like it had fallen off of a cliff into a pit of devastation and despair, but I wanted it to have the feeling of being used and taken care of. The hilt has minor finish scuffs and marks and the occasional accumulation of dirt and oil. Areas where I felt dirt and oils would build up more are weathered heavier.

I wanted the overlay to really tie into the saber. I went through a bunch of different designs and settled on the diagonal motif that would be present in both the overlay and the braiding. My idea behind the overlay was to make it appear as though it was placed there for a repair/upgrade. Maybe the main power switch was originally where the faux crystal chamber is now. Maybe the switch was damaged and had to be moved out of necessity or just the owner’s preference. So, the owner decided to hold all of the switches and power sources in a single box and is now left with a hole in the side of his/her hilt. He/she adds the overlay with some venting for cooling of aesthetic purposes. (That’s just how I see it in my head).

Specs
    MHS Construction
    Hand-Cut Aluminum Overlay
    Triple baked flat black painting with double baked matte clearcoat
    Light/Moderate Weathering
    Deer-Skin lace braided wrapping
    Black metal anti-vandal switch with flat actuator
    Faux Crystal Chamber
    Crystal Pommel
    Rechargeable 7.4v 14500 Li-Ion pack with protection PCB
    Petit Crouton "Lightmeat"
    Lux III Cyan bin 1 LED @ 1 amp

Progress Pics

Ancient Ally

The Video (I tend to ramble)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9GUznBDyWY
    Last edited by Takanis; 07-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice work.

It looks like it was a labor of love.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Looks great - really like the shroud work.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Looks great, love the shroud, id imagine it took quite the patience to craft.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

I love the saber, but it looks like a lot of work to make the shroud look like a black ribbon.Looks like you could of just have made more straps I would think, and use black PVC for the rest. Or just not paint it. But since you show the work you put into it, I can appreciate the design more. Cause your shroud WORK is AWESOME!! Hope you don't mind the neg input.

Wow. Very nice work. I like .

Thanks all
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Ooooh! Pretty saber! Great work on this one. Impressive... Most impressive.