Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Dark" or "Black" blade

Default "Dark" or "Black" blade

I just have a theory that you guys can run with or completely rip on. The idea is to get a white LED saber but modify the blade (with paint or whatever) so it has a black core when lit up, but the walls of the blade will glow white like normal creating a black blade but it is still seeable at night and day. Again, just a theory you can make changes with or totally rip on. []

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nope... it won't work. There was a topic on this in Misc... black doesn't exist as it's the absence of light. A black core would be impossible too as the corona would cover it up.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Well, what if you had the regular white saber but on the blade you put like a black rod in the middle but left a gap in between the rod and the inner wall allowing the white light to wrap around the black rod?

Then you would end up with a black rod with a light shining on it, black gives off no light, it only reflects light if the surface is polished.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

hmm, but do you see what I'm trying to suggest with the white outer layer and black core?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Maybe in games or a movie that'd be possible, but it real life that just doesn't work. Any rod would be bathed in the color of the LED and not be seen unless you made it intentionally so that it wasn't even lighting. Even then you'd only see the rod at the end of the blade. It'd be like the EL and LED combo... no workie.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Well, thanks anyways but are you sure that if you had a half inch diameter black rod through the center of the blade and lit it up that you wouldn't see a major dark area in the center?

Sorry it will not produce the effect that you want.[V][xx(]

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

I have to disagree with the others, to some degree, and say that this is the only way to have a "black" blade or silver or off color. It'd really be a blade within a blade, though, and I've got a feeling that it still wouldn't be as dark as you hope. You'd probably have to leave a very thin gap for the light or it'd probably be washed out like xwing is trying to say. Plus, it'd probably be very evident that it's a blade within a blade. It probably wouldn't look like a "lightsaber" per se. But, it would have a black core. I say go for it, but it seems like it'd be a son of a gun to pull of mechanically.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by HiddenMooCow

I just have a theory that you guys can run with or completely rip on. The idea is to get a white LED saber but modify the blade (with paint or whatever) so it has a black core when lit up, but the walls of the blade will glow white like normal creating a black blade but it is still seeable at night and day. Again, just a theory you can make changes with or totally rip on. []
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The black core may show some but I am afraid the effect would be poor at best, plus finding a way to suspend the black rod in the blade without reducing the outer layer of light.

<center></center>