Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 Thick walled Blades

Default 3/4 Thick walled Blades

i know thay are use for the EL Blades but could one be used for a Lux V saber

at the moment im not to concerned with brightness thanks to Pullos therd but i also wanna know if it is worth uesin blade film or just sand blasting it?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You only want to use thin walled 3/4" blades for luxeons. I believe Tim sells it.

Yeah, here's the url
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/34...ong--P153.aspx

A quad wrap of Corbin's film would be great for it, but the best diffuser for 3/4" blades is a combo of Corbin's (2 wraps normally) and cellophane (~3 feet).
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    A quad wrap of Corbin's film would be great for it, but the best diffuser for 3/4" blades is a combo of Corbin's (2 wraps normally) and cellophane (~3 feet).
    thanks lord maul

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    You only want to use thin walled 3/4" blades for luxeons. I believe Tim sells it.

Yeah, here's the url
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/34...ong--P153.aspx

Not to res a thread, but why would you only /want/ to use a thing walled 3/4"? Thick walled can be sourced, and I've been wanting to as I need a dueling blade, but want to go smaller to fit a particular design. Does the 1/2" id not allow enough space for the light? the 6º collimator I found and Rebel PCB are small enough that shouldn't be a problem. The 1/8" walls shouldn't pose much flex, either. I have no issue, either, with tooling a PolyC Sphere to fit the need, or sanding one of Tim's down. But if there's a specific problem with thick walled 3/4", please shoot me down before I end up with an expensive custom tooled belt hilt!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

We sell thick walled tubes and tips..look in the EL section. The reason has always been the amount of light that can make it up the tube. With smaller optics you should be fine.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    We sell thick walled tubes and tips..look in the EL section. The reason has always been the amount of light that can make it up the tube. With smaller optics you should be fine.
    Thanks for the Heads up! (yes, I'm slow)

I'm currently talking to a company that makes Polycarb tubes. I'm asking if they can extruded/form tubes with rounded tips. Interested?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Any company that could injection mold PolyC would want a HUGE volume.

Extrusion wouldn't work for a built in tip at least.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    Any company that could injection mold PolyC would want a HUGE volume.

Extrusion wouldn't work for a built in tip at least.
    I was discussing alternate techniques with them that involve a serious perversion of the extrusion method (and they've even suggested visiting and experimenting! *joy*). We've talked order ranges of 50-100 four-foot tubes. It'd be an investment like whoa, but just supplying a few groups/stores would run through that stock. I have no idea if it'll pan, but if it could be done... It'd open a whole new series of technical problems to solve!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think I know what you are getting at. If it were me I'd press the ends in when it was coming out of an extruder.

The problem I see with a one piece solution is the diffusers. A lot are using films now so unless it has a flat bottom on the inside the tip is going to light worse. Sure it's more uniform on the outside, but when on you'd have to conquer the the way it would light up.

50-100 really isn't much though... I wouldn't be surprised if TCSS alone went through that monthly.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

The problem I see with a one piece solution is the diffusers. A lot are using films now so unless it has a flat bottom on the inside the tip is going to light worse. Sure it's more uniform on the outside, but when on you'd have to conquer the the way it would light up.

Not to give too much away, but I think I even have a fix for that But... it'll be one of those things that works or doesn't in the end Now I just have to convince my other half that it's worth the money...

50-100 really isn't much though... I wouldn't be surprised if TCSS alone went through that monthly.
    If this /works/, I'd be willing to go into business selling the things fully diffused and ready, or just in bulk to dealers. Or just set it up so they could get them direct in batches (cause I like these guys so much . But for me, I'm going to test it myself, first in 1" and 3/4" Thick walled., so a small batch it shall be.