Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Config GUI

They went with a micro-USB port and a fancy GUI on the Obsidian soundboard, personally I would prefer the micro SD cards, so you can swap out pre-loaded sounds and configs on the fly instead of having to carry around a laptop or take the saber back to your computer to swap things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria Dei View Post
    i'm not working on a secret project to make an over-packed GUI config app for the PC... >_>

and that's all i'll say... hint, hint...

Anything Azmaria isn't not working on would surely not be very very uninteresting if it didn't nonexist...

...ummmm...*unties knots in brain*...did I get that right? lol

What may or may not be worked on, would defiantly may or may not be totally awesome.

When I think of this, I think of those old savegame editors from 90's PC games.

90's pc games... I do this with some of my KoTOR saves...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    They went with a micro-USB port and a fancy GUI on the Obsidian soundboard, personally I would prefer the micro SD cards, so you can swap out pre-loaded sounds and configs on the fly instead of having to carry around a laptop or take the saber back to your computer to swap things around.

Total QFT

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

i dont mean to throw a spanner in the works but do people relly find it that hard to alter a couple or figures on note pad then click the save key? while i think a nice gui would be cool i wonder is it really needed, im no expert but isnt it really easy already?

Well, you could see it this way:
    The easier it is, the less people will blow up an awesome soundcard.
    Also, sliders and preset options help the users know the limit of the hardware at
    all times, decreasing the chance of mistakes (and part damage) even more.
    I mean, there could even be little [?] icons next to the sliders etc, explaining the parameter even further.
    If done properly, and extensively, it might replace the manual. Just maybe...
    You could let limit the user's options, with an 'Advanced Settings' for those
    who are comfortable enough with the parameters.

I know some of you would think "If you can't even handle a simple TXT file, you are not worthy of
    such a great soundboard", and to some extent I agree.
    But let's face, even the 'noob' saberbuilders will buy a PC, and a GUI in general would simply help make the PC more accessible.

I hope that made sense...

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by mihunai View Post
    Well, you could see it this way:
    The easier it is, the less people will blow up an awesome soundcard. You can't blow up the board with a bad/corrupted config file, the board just uses defaults parameters.
    Also, sliders and preset options help the users know the limit of the hardware at
    all times, decreasing the chance of mistakes (and part damage) even more. Again, no risk of soundboard damage with a bad config file. With the possible exception of the LED config, where if "maxed out" most LEDs will handle for a while worst case. The only 100% garunteed method for blowing up an LED with a PC is to not connect it at startup (board uses battery voltage to the LED pads).
    I mean, there could even be little [?] icons next to the sliders etc, explaining the parameter even further. What the manual is for.
    If done properly, and extensively, it might replace the manual. Just maybe... The config part of the manual is 3 pages out of 21 (14%).
    You could let limit the user's options, with an 'Advanced Settings' for those
    who are comfortable enough with the parameters. The default file does exactly this and works "out of the box" with perhaps the exception of the switch setting and LED current. Users don't have to edit much else if they don't want to.

I know some of you would think "If you can't even handle a simple TXT file, you are not worthy of
    such a great soundboard", and to some extent I agree. Therefore you fail Mr. Lusar
    But let's face, even the 'noob' saberbuilders will buy a PC, and a GUI in general would simply help make the PC more accessible. IDK.... I found the explanations pretty easy to understand, and the "it shows you visually where the setting is" argument is pretty nullified, because the manual clearly states the top and bottom ranges of the parameter. If you need it to be exactly 1/4 of the range, for example, you can easily calculate that, rather than having a slider which is inaccurate. I'm not against a GUI... just not having the entire config process happen through one.
    I hope that made sense...

mTm
    character limit
    Last edited by Skottsaber; 07-03-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

The main parts concern would indeed be the LED being overdriven.
    Also, you did not really 'bust' any of my arguments, save the implied manual replacement.

Parts damage by wrong setting is still valid. (LEDs, while improbable, may still blow up.)
    The [?] signs being in the GUI is also still valid, because it simply makes
    it easier to know what the parameter does, while you're working on it, without
    having to search the whole manual.
    In any program (like computer games etc), a good user interface can greatly enhance the
    flow of operation. It makes interaction more pleasant.

So try again.

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

i'm actually a .NET software developer of going on 6 years now.
    my expertise is in web applications, but desktop apps are cake compared to web apps.
    given some specs and details i could throw something together fairly quickly/easily as far as manipulating a configuration file through a GUI and saving it back off.
    The Dark Side is all I have...