Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Config GUI

Default Config GUI

I've been looking around a bit at all the various soundboard options, and I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever written up a simple program to act as a GUI for editing the config file for the PC.

I haven't done any sort of programming in like 20 years. But from what I remember of programming, writing a small program to put sliders or some sort of graphic element to aid in the configuration of all the settings of the PC shouldn't be too daunting of a task.

I know editing a text file isn't a big deal, but having a program to speed up the process and automate some of the formatting, etc. certainly would be nice.

Nobody has done that sort of thing yet. (Or shared it)

If you can do it, definitely go for it! I for one would be extremely interested in such a program, it would really speed-up the process.

It is not within my current range of skills to make such a program. All of my coding skills are 20 years out of date.

I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if it had been done already, or possibly spark the interest to do it in someone with the skills to make it happen.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope hasn't been done. To me personally, I like the way the config files are setup. It is simple, and makes the process more... techish...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Your code knowledge may be out of date, but never obsolete. If you can find a compiler for whatever language you used to write, you can still build it.
    The question is whether or not you remember enough. I suspect that's what you really mean.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

I think its a whole lot of I don't remember it, mixed with a bit of 'Does anyone actually use Fortran, Cobol, and Pascal anymore??'

I'm much more of a hardware nerd than a software nerd...I never was any good at the limited programming I am much more comfortable tearing something down to its component parts and rebuilding it.

The nice thing would be that the program would be totally optional since its not hard coded on the boards...people more comfortable with the techish manual editing of the config file could continue to do so...people who prefer a GUI and a visual representation of all the numbers could use the program method.

Not saying its something vitally needed in the community, but I'm sure that more people than just myself would like a GUI method of changing their PC config (I've seen numerous posts about how people complain about the swing sensitivity of their PCs, but do nothing about it because they are not comfortable mucking about in config files) One of the nice selling points of the new Obsidian boards is the well polished GUI, having something similar for the PC would be a nice addition IMHO.
    Last edited by Arashi; 07-02-2011 at 09:42 AM.

I believe it might be more useful to discuss this with Erv' directly, since I think there has been talk of a GUI type program before...
    LOCKHEED

I figured that if Erv hadnt made a GUI for any of his boards yet that he wasn't all that interested in doing so. Plus, from what I have gathered reading the boards, he is a rather busy fellow already. I'd rather let him do what he does best, and throw this idea out there to any 3rd parties that might be interested in whipping up a new tool for the PC users out there.

I know Erv reads the boards too, so if he sees this thread and thinks 'Wow...that is a fantastic idea...why didn't I think of that years ago' thats great too

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i'm not working on a secret project to make an over-packed GUI config app for the PC... >_>

and that's all i'll say... hint, hint...
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

What I thought would be cool would be to have a micro-USB port on the outside of the saber that would let you plug your saber directly into your computer to config and update files on the SD card. Coming up with a cram-fu solution that is neat and clean on the inside is more of a challenge than I thought. Many ideas I've had for an internal chassis are more challenging when I remember I have to make it so the SD card is easily accessible. I'm afraid that would involve a major re-engineering of the PC though.
    "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." -- Genesis 3:24 Lightsabers are real.