Thread: In At The Deep End!

Default In At The Deep End!

Hello There!
    I've been following the forum for some months now and am finally getting ready to attempt my first build. Due to my chaotic income I'm going in at the deep end whilst I can afford to!
    To that end here is my design. (I think I have most of it sorted, however I do have some questions).
    My Saber 2.3.jpg

PARTS LIST

MHS Ribbed Extension...x2
    3" Double Female Threaded Connector...x1
    MPS Pommel; style 3 v2...x1
    MPS insert: style 1...x1
    MPS clip...x1
    Screw on LED Blade Holder; style 18...x1
    Switch (Latching green dot AV)...x1
    TCSS: Covertec (Silver) belt button...x1
    1.5" X 12" Chrome Sink Tube...x1
    Electronics Kit...x1
    Petit Crouton Soundboard...x1
    2AA Battery Holder...x1
    TrustFire 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Battery, (2-pack)...x1
    Premium Speaker...x1
    Momantry switch (black)...x1
    3.9ohm 5w resistor...x1
    8-32x1/2" thumb screw...x1
    8-32x3/8" socket head screw...x1
    Extra Wire.

My major questions are: Will this sound set up work? Will these parts fit in the pommel/ribbed extension? And are there any other problems anybody can see?

I'll have to get most of the custom work done for me as my facilities are rather limited.

[And if anyone's interested the design was inspired by some already on here. Its the Saber of a Jedi Consular called Tebras Dentro, the main protaganist of the novel I'm writing, set about 170 years before TPM.]

Thanks.
    Elodin
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."

What will you use to hold your speaker and where will it be located? Your pic is too small to read.
    What is the 3.9ohm 5w resistor for?

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

I do not believe you will be able to fit 2 AA batteries side-by-side in the ribbed section. You could possibly make a stick pack out of them and have them end-to-end instead. If you change one of the ribbed sections to a standard double female section, then the battery pack will fit without trouble.

The Petit Crouton is a fully functional LED driver, you will not need the 3.9 ohm resistor for your main LED. It is a good idea to get a small (1 ohm or so) resistor for the LED in your switch.

You may want to use one of these http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Be...ches-P448.aspx with your illuminated switch as well, to help it fit better on the hilt.

Also, don't forget a blade. I like the trans-white ones myself, but that's a matter of personal taste.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Knew I missed something off the list! Speaker mount V3, attached to the battery holder. I thought I might have to trim it slightly, but I've no idea if that will actually work untill i get hold of the thing...
    The resistor was to go between the PC board and the LED... although thinking about it, im not too sure if i need it, or if it's the right one. (It was a while back I looked at it).

How far off fitting will it be? i definatly want both ribbed sections. I'm not above shaving a bit of plastic off the holder if that will do the job. The Bezel may be a good idea, although it will be going through both the female section and the sink tube.

Some opinions on blades would be good. I'll be using a P4 Green led.

Oh - sorry about the small pic, the larger one didn't want to upload for some reason.... and the writing's mostly just about the custom work.
    Last edited by Elodin; 06-30-2011 at 05:23 AM.
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."

Nope, that's one of the nice things about working with the PC. It auto-magically figures out the right amount of power to send to the LED. You don't need a resistor on the main LED.

...at least, not until you start working with multi-die RGB LEDs. But that's a whole new can of worms.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thats cool.
    Any idea what the inner dimensions of the ribbed extension and pommel are? i'll need to work out if the speaker config can be made to fit or if i need to have a re-think.

Blog Entries

I hate to tell you the battery holder (AA) will not fit in the ribbed extention...just tried it...but if you glue the batteries together and build a battery pack, I found that 2 to 3 wraps of electrical tape makes for a snug fit...
    "Do or do not....there is no try" - Yoda

I thought as much. The speaker mount definatly won't fit then. Most inconvenient! New plan required!
    I need to be able to remove the batteries to recharge, as a recharge port won't fit without a major re-design - which I would like to avoid. Any thoughts on this?
    cheers to the guys who have posted so far!