Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I NEED WELD #3

Oooh, It isn't that hard!
    My first try (on my own saber) i got some on the top, but that was only'cause I had it on my fingers and then touched the top...
    When I did on my friends blade, it went perfect!
    You just need to do things in the right order... (I can make a mini-tut. )
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enolmano
    Oooh, It isn't that hard!
    My first try (on my own saber) i got some on the top, but that was only'cause I had it on my fingers and then touched the top...
    When I did on my friends blade, it went perfect!
    You just need to do things in the right order... (I can make a mini-tut. )
    I agree, but not everyone is coordinated enough to pull if off. I'd rather recommend something that has more of a fudge factor.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Yeah, I actually broke mine off about two weeks ago. The temperature changes from inside to outside did it's deed.

I still think a good job of welding it will get through any heavy session.

Novastar, You ever done touch-ups between? Or is it simply tape it and worry about it when it comes off. I'm thinking of just going back over the seam every month or so.
    Ack, sorry I missed this post of yours X-wing. I'm slower on TCSS than most...

When you say touch-ups, if you mean with glue--I have indeed. In fact, I've re-glued tips several times, and they just don't stay.

I don't believe it to be the glue's "fault", it is the pure flexion itself. You know this better than anyone if I recall that metal pole video of you I saw on Corbin's old site...

I think rubber/vinyl/silicone tips are the key. They will absorb the shock, and also absorb against any "dropped" sabers if the emitter and pommel also have rubber protecting them.

I didn't mean to de-rail here, but I can safely say that NO amount of gluing will keep the tips on if you use your blades alot and strike hard.

Adding a few layers of clear tape DOES do wonders though. They stay on about 10x as long, no joke.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

On monday i had shot a 4 minute battle 15 times and my tips weren't even loose (and we go fast and hard) at any point. We used clear package sealing tape. Just wrap it around the blade and blade tip once and you're done. It is invisible and will hold your blade tip perfectly.

Super Bowl XLII Champs.

I like your idea for rubber tips nova, i plan on molding up something similar as a test, gonna just use hot melt glue sticks, melt them down and pour into a mold and see how they turn out.
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!