Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's Chrome Saber 36

Default Jay-gon's Chrome Saber 36

I had intended to use up a few parts I had on hand when I got started with this one last month, but as it usually goes, the plan changed during construction, and I think it turned out better than it would have. Originally intended to have a chrome 1 1/2" sink tube sleeve and a Parks clamp, it evolved to use a piece of the store's sleeve material and box style one instead. Although it added to the cost, I think it looks much better than it would have with those other parts.

Lighting and sound effects are provided n unlocked Petit Crouton and is currently running Madcow's "Revenge" font. The main blade led is a Luxeon III Bin 2 Red/Orange and it has two accent led's on the side of the switch box. The full build coverage can be seen at FX-Sasbers.com's forums in the Mining Colony section. so, here is my

Chrome Saber 36 (CS-36)

And if it runs dead and you still want to play with it:

Just unplug the battery, replace it with another pack, and put the new in:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Not a fan of the red (idk, it just doesn't look good. Maybe it's just the lack of darkness/nighttime) nor the very overused Obi-Wan TPM pommel. The shroud looks good; very clean, very cool, as to be expected from you.

Why interchanging battery packs over a recharge port? I like the idea but it's perplexing and seems like it would overcomplicate things a bit.
    Last edited by Yoshi-Taka; 06-27-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Thought the LED was amber. lol sorry

My favourite from you so far, sort of like a Luke ROTJ/Obi TPM hybrid. Also I've love the darkside flavor with the blade, and the awesome shroud work.
    Last edited by bk_renesis; 06-30-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Great job as always Jay. If you don't mind me asking, What tools do you use to make that style of pommel? In time I want to make a Ahsoka Tano.

I love your design, and your controll box, and am envious of your pommel "Grumbles about not having one". Its good red, but honestly thought it was going to be Green, lol
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    Not a fan of the red (idk, it just doesn't look good. Maybe it's just the lack of darkness/nighttime) nor the very overused Obi-Wan TPM pommel. The shroud looks good; very clean, very cool, as to be expected from you.

Why interchanging battery packs over a recharge port? I like the idea but it's perplexing and seems like it would overcomplicate things a bit.
    Over used huh? There's not that many of them out there, so I'm not sure how you can say that, but to each his own. Also, there is a recharge port, but there are times when these sabers get used by costumers that they don't want them to die and have to be recharged for an hour or two before using them again, especially if you're out at an all day long event, such as a convention or charity fundraiser. Making the battery pack also removable allows for a fully charged pack to be installed if necessary.

And the lighted blade picture was taken in the middle of the afternoon in my kitchen, while all of the lights were also on...here's a shot of it in the basement before I took the finished pictures:

That better? They can't all be green or blue, now can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    Great job as always Jay. If you don't mind me asking, What tools do you use to make that style of pommel? In time I want to make a Ahsoka Tano.
    None, actually....I cheated....I bought if from Acerocket over on FX-Sabers.com.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 06-27-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I really like the overall design of this one. Nice use of the pommel. It really suits it. I'm guessing the screws on the side of the box are to fill the holes from the LED holder holes having drilled right through? Nice switches! Custom? I can't wrap my head around how you did those...but of those of us who do them, we all have our methods. I'm kinda surprised you had so many gauges in the overlay. Otherwise your overlay work is tight as usual.

I really like the battery pack idea WITH port...waiting to charge is no fun.

BTW..most people don't realize you can fit a box on top of an overlay....it just leaves a VERY small gap in the curve under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Over used huh? There's not that many of them out there, so I'm not sure how you can say that, but to each his own. Also, there is a recharge port, but there are times when these sabers get used by costumers that they don't want them to die and have to be recharged for an hour or two before using them again, especially if you're out at an all day long event, such as a convention or charity fundraiser. Making the battery pack also removable allows for a fully charged pack to be installed if necessary.

And the lighted blade picture was taken in the middle of the afternoon in my kitchen, while all of the lights were also on...here's a shot of it in the basement before I took the finished pictures:
    That better? They can't all be green or blue, now can they?

None, actually....I cheated....I bought if from Acerocket over on FX-Sabers.com.
    I got a reply omg!

The LED looks a lot better in that picture. Maybe it was just the pictures in the OP. Truth be told, I'm sick of blue. =p

I just don't like the pommel. I've seen it too much for my liking. Not from you specifically, just in general.

Looks great finished up Jay-Gon...follow the build log over at FX. Liking the build log and the new shroud design.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I really like the overall design of this one. Nice use of the pommel. It really suits it. I'm guessing the screws on the side of the box are to fill the holes from the LED holder holes having drilled right through? Nice switches! Custom? I can't wrap my head around how you did those...but of those of us who do them, we all have our methods. I'm kinda surprised you had so many gauges in the overlay. Otherwise your overlay work is tight as usual.

I really like the battery pack idea WITH port...waiting to charge is no fun.

BTW..most people don't realize you can fit a box on top of an overlay....it just leaves a VERY small gap in the curve under it.
    The screws on the other side of the box were originally drilled to house the long type mini tactile sold here. I drilled them to shallow in the box and figured I'd just put a couple of led's in them to fill them, then when I got the new switches yesterday, I planned to put them on the other die where the current led's are, but the box wall was to think for them to reach through. I found that out after re-drilling one of the holes. So, I had to fill them with something, and had those chrome bezel led's and decided to use those and fill the original holes with screws instead. The actual switches in the card are pressed fit. They are so tight that I actually destroyed two of them already while trying to get them out after installing them. They are actually very easy to pull apart if you're not careful. I'm still getting used to the new Dremel I had to buy to replace my 6 year old Craftsman, so that's why the gouges on the sleeve. It has different speed settings than my Craftsman did, and it's a little larger, but I'll get used to it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    I got a reply omg!

The LED looks a lot better in that picture. Maybe it was just the pictures in the OP. Truth be told, I'm sick of blue. =p

I just don't like the pommel. I've seen it too much for my liking. Not from you specifically, just in general.
    I usually try to reply to posts in my topics...shouldn't coma a s a surprise. The pommel is understandable. I actually have four of them on my own sabers, so I guess you could say I like them. Most of mine are all blue as well, and I usually get comments stating things like "Another blue one?" or "another green one?" That and the Red/O has been in my parts drawer for a couple of years and needed to get used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
    Looks great finished up Jay-Gon...follow the build log over at FX. Liking the build log and the new shroud design.
    Thanks, this one took a lot of work, but I think it was worth it.