Thread: Wiring Help - Limiting battery source

Default Wiring Help - Limiting battery source

Hello All
    Okay so I decided to run a 7.4 volt pack in my mace fx lightsaber since the battery compartment corroded instead of trying to restore it...

okay so I was under the impression that the master replicas board was already resisted sine it runs a 9v source in this saber's stock battery compartment so I put my new battery pack inwired it all up and of course fried the red lux III led that I have in it. So I have a spare white P4 Led as well and was going to put it in instead but I am trying to figure what I should do about the battery?

Its a 7.4v source and I need to limit it to around 3.7v so that I don't blow this one out to.
    SO waht do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks for any help it is appreciated
    PS Im not the best at wiring...
    But What if I'm a figment of my own Imagination?!

take out one of the batteries?
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

I want to use both batteries so that it last longer, it will suck the juice out to quickly with one. I would have gone with 4 standard batteries but not enough space. THe saber requires 3.7 - 4.5 volts to run
    Last edited by nemik; 06-24-2011 at 08:06 PM.

If you wire the batteries in parallel (+ to + and - to -) instead of series (+ to -) you get the base voltage (3.7v) but twice the capacity. Also, if you get the Li-ion batteries with tabs, it makes this MUCH easier. If you're sure it needs 3.7 4.5v and it runs normally on a 9v batt, then the board must have a voltage regulator or something. Not an expert on fx boards. If it was just the Li-ion batts and the P4, Ohm's Law is your friend: I=E/R.
    Last edited by tachikoma1; 06-24-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." -- Genesis 3:24 Lightsabers are real.

Just because your Mace uses 6 AA's doesn't mean it runs on 9 volts....those battery packs are wired in a parallel set up for two sets of three that will total 4.5volts with double the capacity (run time) of a 3 AA battery pack. Put a multimeter on the pin-outs on the battery pack with 6 AA's in it and you'll see what I mean. Also, most MR boards will fry if you attempt to run them on more than 6 volts, so if you really want to use a 7.4v Li-Ion set up, you'll need to get a voltage regulator that will limit the voltage to 5 volts. These can be found at most local Radio Shack stores.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

FX boards can run on a single Li-Ion, so just wire your cells in parallel.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

hey is it possible to put a regular 1.2 volt AA battery in with a lithium just make connection in the battery box and it would give me the required voltage or could that screw something up? just curious, but otherwise I am going to try them in parallel that seems the a good option and I may also get a volt regulator so that I don't blow something up as well. Oh could I just wire a buck puck in there from the saber shop?

and an alternate question on wiring is it possible to get a touch sensitive button wired up to a saber like those touch on lamps?

Thanks all for the help and if there is anything else you can add it would be greatly appreciated.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

NEVER mix different battery types.

There are dummy cells in the Store for that purpose.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/AA...Cell-P522.aspx
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

you CAN mix NiMH and Li-Ions... if you want to build a BOMB...

just run the FX board on the Li-Ion 3.7V - they really only need 3V and all of mine run perfectly fine on a single Li-Ion cell.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Quote Originally Posted by nemik View Post
    hnd an alternate question on wiring is it possible to get a touch sensitive button wired up to a saber like those touch on lamps?
    yes.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent