Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The black blade. I think I have a fresh idea.

Lightbulb The black blade. I think I have a fresh idea.

I know this topic has had many treads. But I read a few of them and they all seem to have the same idea. But something dark in the center of the blade and hope the outer layers of the blade will light up. I would like to add to that.
    Now I didn’t read every comment on every thread, but has anyone thought of a blade with small little groves going down the shaft of the blade? I was looking at a cheap flea market saber my son got years ago in San Jose. The blade is real messed up and muddy inside from sitting in the rain in the yard, but it still had a lil light going up. It’s a 12” blade. But it made me think, what if there was a clean blade, and a whole lot of poly in the center. Sorry I don’t have a sample but I will draw what I mean once I get this out of my head first. Basically all the small, lines going up the blade would lite up, due to the LED at the bottom. I think poly would work the best because light will come thru. And the light on the shaft will lite up in between the groove on the blade. Now the part I can’t think of is should the grooves be on the inside or out side of the blade. Let me know what you think while I make this doodle of what I’m talking about.

Last edited by Ripper; 06-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.

I understand what you are suggesting, but you didn't explain why you think it will work. Explain it again and try to be more articulate. Maybe then we can comment on the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Explain it again and try to be more articulate. .
    I drew a pic cause I can't. How do I say grooves going along the side of the blade?

Each lil solid stem in the grooves will work like lil sabers, while the cannals in the grooves reflect like a normal saber tube would. And the poly inside keeps a even blade on the inside like normal. But the poly is a lil thiker then what's in the store. More like a thin plastic or just use a lot of poly. But it needs to reflect, and get the dark merror look when there's to much. When it's dark like that the light is on the tips mostly. So the grooves on the blade/tube will still light up the blade/tube along the edges. While the poly is too thick for all the light, some will still come thrue. But since the outer grooves are lit the core is dark. But you may see stripes going up your saber. If I ever find a clear tube with grooves inside going all throw the tube I'll make one. There are a lot of guys on here with all kinds of equipment. I would think there may be some one who could make this for them selfs. If it works they have the first black saber blade.
    Last edited by Ripper; 06-21-2011 at 02:12 PM.

The picture isn't what I need you to re-articulate. I understand that you want to construct a blade with vertical grooves either on the inside or the outside, and that you want to fill it with poly-something. However, poly isn't a material. It's a prefix on dozens of different compounds, each of which could be manufactured to produce a nearly endless number of different materials. I also don't understand why you think this will produce a black core.

Poly is short of polymer. Plastic. Ripper wants to fill the blade with plastic sheeting. To darken it?

Yes I think everyone here realizes that. But there are a LOT of different polymers, and they can take hundreds of different forms. More information is necessary.

Since this is just another idea that no one feels it worthy to even try. Why not just add this to the existing thread. To me it sounds like your talking along the lines of the lenticular idea already discussed.

I understand the "poly" thing your talking about. How about I say the polymer most use. The gift wrap stuff. And yeah use it for a dark core. Has anyone ever seen a lot of "polymer" gift wrap? It gets like a mirror. But if it's dence very lil light can get out. One day if I hit the Lotto and get some equipment. I'll make what I'm talking about. But for now it's just a idea. I like it and think it would be worth trying just to show you what I am getting at. But like I said the idea I am talking about may leave lines up the blade. And between the lit stems is were you see the dark core. It's more like the core is in jail.

Sorry about the spelling, I'm Dyslexic and think in pics. as I may have said before.

Sounds like it might produce a dim core stiped blade. Probably just a dim blade. Any light that you see on the outside will make seeing the core impossible. This is very similar to other ideas and should be in that thread.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

The polymer The gift wrap stuff, is called cellophane. It is used to defuse the light and even it out. The groves would do just that. You would have lines running down the length of your blade.