Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helmets for the visually impaired?

I tried contacts once a few years ago, they drove me crazy. Even the ultra soft trial lenses they gave me I could barely stand. Felt like I had something in my eye the whole time...I could feel them every time I blinked or moved my eye...not a pleasant experience at all.

Arashi

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Then fans would be a good option...

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I was planning on adding some electronics to whatever helmet I end up with anyways, a voice changer/amplifier at the least, maybe some lights, etc. A fan or 2 certainly wouldn't be out of the question either

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boj-Vaati Mau View Post
    Then fans would be a good option...
    The problem with that, You couldn't hear. The noise from the fan in a enclosed space on you head would be as noisy as a lawn mower.

No J-Lo, I don't wear glasses, but I have been diving. The anti-fogging sprays don't seem to work any better than spit. Besides, fogging is caused by a difference in pressure and temperature between the air on two sides of the glass. As I mentioned in my edit, the lenses of the helmet will probably be more likely to fog than the lenses of the glasses because the air surrounding the glasses will be the same temperature. The air outside of the helmet won't be. This means he wouldn't be spitting on his glasses, so it won't effect his vision quite as badly.

Fans are a good option if you have room in your helmet and in your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    The problem with that, You couldn't hear. The noise from the fan in a enclosed space on you head would be as noisy as a lawn mower.
    That's why I use those case fans. They're small and designed to be quiet, so in most environments, like your typical convention setting, the fans can't actually be heard over the crowd and conversation noise.

In my Halo CQB helmet, I have a 25mm fan in each cheek piece and a slightly larger one above my forehead. The left cheek fan pulls air in, the top fan blows on my face and the right one blows air out, all working together to create a nice subtle airflow that removes heat and moisture from inside the helmet, preventing fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Fans are a good option if you have room in your helmet and in your budget.
    I salvaged the forehead fan from something, so there was no cost there, but the rest of the setup is fairly cheap, as 2 fans were $10-15 for the pair, then some wire, a 9v battery holder and a cheapo toggle switch (less than $15 in all) finished off the setup. If I'd actually shopped around for deals, I could have built it for $20 or less.

Now I'm thinking about mounting a White P4 or SSR90 in the forehead that I can activate either hands-free from inside the helmet with a chin switch, or by running a wire to an Arduino-powered control box mounted in my gauntlet
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    I tried contacts once a few years ago, they drove me crazy. Even the ultra soft trial lenses they gave me I could barely stand. Felt like I had something in my eye the whole time...I could feel them every time I blinked or moved my eye...not a pleasant experience at all.

Arashi
    Mine normally feel like that for the first three or four hours at most, but eventually it goes away from a combination of slightly reshaping the tissue of your actual eye-balls and desensitizing the insides of your eyelids.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

I couldn't stand them long enough to get used to them, so i just deal with glasses. Maybe some day I will be able to afford laser vision correction or something. Until then, I'll just have to make due with glasses.

Arashi

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You youngins just don't have the patience for anything.

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Get some fogtech I swear by it I put it in my TD bucket, Bacara bucket, Pred bio helm, and my paintball mask. great stuff
    Sith Happens