Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets for the visually impaired?

Default Helmets for the visually impaired?

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with wearing glasses under a costume helmet.

I've been wanting to do a custom outfit that would involve a helmet, but I wear glasses and dont know if I would run into constant problems with fogging up or space issues, etc, etc.

Chime in if you wear glasses and a helmet.

Arashi

P.S. Contact lenses are not an option.

I know some paintballers who wear rec-specs under their helmets because they are durable and low profile. If fogging becomes a problem, use the old scuba diving trick of spitting on the lenses.

Edit: Actually if you wear a pair of glasses that are open on the sides, you will probably have no trouble at all with your glasses fogging up under a helmet. The lenses of the helmet will be much more likely to fog.
    Last edited by TimeRender; 06-17-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

I have worn glasses 30 some-odd years. Although motorcycle helmets have venting, I don't always remember to open them. I have had no problem with my glasses fogging up. Just so you know I have ridden in all temperatures.

Good to know, I know I have pretty serious issues with my sports frame glasses fogging up when I do SCA swordfighting, but that is mostly due to all the sweating and such. Wasn't sure if glasses under a costume helmet would cause any problems due to reduced airflow, etc.

Arashi

no they won't fogg up too badley unless you do a lot of heavy breathing in the helmet ...I wear a mando helmet and my glasses don't fog up too badly

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

It really depends on the costume. If it's a full encolsure suit, i.e. Darth Vader or Stormtrooper, then it could be an issue becasue you WILL sweat.You can build an inlet & exhaust fan into the costume but you may still have teh issue. SCA combat is a good indicator of how you'll work in a costume.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

It will probably be a fairly full coverage helmet, I was thinking about doing a custom non-mandolorian bounty hunter helmet. Possibly using one of the existing toy helmets currently on the market as a base. Maybe one of the Iron Man or Optimus Prime helmets as a base, I'll have to see what I can come up with design-wise.

Arashi

I've been making custom helmets (no pre-made base helmet) for several years now with the Halo costuming groups, and while fogging can be an issue with any heat buildup, I use the trick of some mini case fans attached to a switch and battery, mounted to blow on the wearer's face to offset that.

The case fans are small, almost silent and efficient, both in cooling and preventing fogging

I'm not talking about the full-size fans, btw. I'm talking about the little 25mm fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835119098
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    If fogging becomes a problem, use the old scuba diving trick of spitting on the lenses.
    Have you ever worn glasses? That sounds like a terrible option, to me, if you want to see clearly. I personally can't stand anything on my lenses when I'm wearing my glasses.

They do make anti-fog sprays, and they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    P.S. Contact lenses are not an option.
    Why not?

Too expensive?

Or are you squeamish about touching your eyeballs? You get used to it.

Soft lenses are very comfortable and easy to take care of, these days. I've been wearing contacts since the mid 1970s, when hard lenses were the only choice. My brother got the first gen soft lenses and they were such a pain in the butt to take care of in those days before disposable lenses.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Why not?
    My prescription barely allows for contacts.