Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jedi Mynock's "Copper Top v2.0" MHS Build

Default Jedi Mynock's "Copper Top v2.0" MHS Build

Here we go...

My second MHS, using a couple parts from my first, so its more of an extensive rebuild of my first saber that i recently dubbed "Copper Top".
    reference pic of Copper Top v1.2

I will explain why pics will be hard to post, right off the get-go. i only have a tablet that for some reason is not allowing me to upload pics to a share site, or attach to emails. so i will try to get them up somehow, editing posts as i go.
    so with that said...

saber will be 90% TCSS MHS, with some bits and pieces here and there from various other sources. some parts are not final, just stand in until i get it all functional and i can do further upgrades (Copper Top v2.xx) so this build thread could get lengthy lol

here is what i've got so far...

all of my MHS parts have arrived, and the pommel, blade holder, and female to female adapter are from CTv1. already has a BH thumbscrew installed.
    I have a PC-L (#16 on wait list to have MH re-flash to PC status woo!)
    P4 white (might replace with LEDengin 5w neutral white later, using JST's on LED connection) blade will be yellow with TCSS color disc
    TCSS premium speaker with mount
    3.7v trustfire 18650
    MHS Chassis disc system will be used, have half of parts just needed to test fit.
    2.1 recharge port in control box (mounted crosswise to use graflex lever for kill key)
    activation and aux will be tactiles mounted under bubble strip.
    going to drill out a bubble on each end, glue a LED tip to button and mount under card for seamless appearance.

currently the rear section (deep fluted 4" double female) is primered, waiting for bake. then it will be shot with some flat black and baked again.
    if this weathers too quickly i will consider powder coating. wait and see...

also have a rough cut of the forward "Starkiller-esque" sinktube shroud. currently sanding off all chrome. most likely going with light olive oil bake. tip of BH1 will be sprayed metallic copper.

overall feel of the saber will be VERY Original Trilogy. might even go with the BespinII font.

this thing feels wicked in hand. since i already have a thumbscrew i popped a TCSS battle blade in and did some very light spinning.
    LOVE IT so far...

i have snapped pics but i need to upload them. this weekend will be busy with san diego fair and father's day festivities (come onnnnnn saberfunds! lol), but i will try to upload pics at least.
    see you then! in the meantime...
    OMM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Last edited by Jedi Mynock; 06-18-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

It sounds like you have a well planned saber. Looking forward to seeing pics.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

thanks! me too! lol
    along with trying to post pics, finish the shroud, painting/baking... i hope to maybe solder up the trustfire. need to read up on soldering li-ions. scary!
    oh and i need to order a bubble card and graflex lever.
    Last edited by Jedi Mynock; 06-17-2011 at 07:41 AM.

MR 616 "Joe Jedi"

Make sure you take a file or bit of sandpaper and scratch the battery terminals a bit before you start. Don't leave the iron on the battery for more than a few seconds. Wear good eye protection, just in case. Avoid lead-free solder, it takes more heat to melt and flow properly. I use 60/40 solder and it works very well. Just don't feed the solder scraps to your kids and you should be fine

Here's Az's post on Li-Ion packs, in case you hadn't seen it. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Battery-Packs
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

yeah Az's tut is what scared me lol
    wait so i shouldnt feed the led solder to my kids? is it okay if i have some?

; )
    thanks!

MR 616 "Joe Jedi"

Lead is especially bad for children, as it inhibits the development of their brains. In an adult this is less of an issue, since the development is pretty much complete. You just have to be concerned with lead poisoning, which is dependant on lead ingested/body mass.

So yes, it's ok if you have some. *

*Disclaimer: Following my advice may lead to serious health complications. Do so at your own risk.

okay so i meant to take pics of the raw MHS parts to show progress but uh...
    i guess this will be a... C to Z build thread?

bassically i have already cut the sinktube shroud, sanded off the chrome (i learned after the fact i did that backwards) smoothed out with a wire wheel but it still has some rough texture that is enhanced by the VERY light olive oil bake.
    I also primered, baked, and painted flat black the 4 inch fluted section.
    if i may say so myself, its looking awesome.
    still need a graflex bubble strip, lever, and all the internal stuff. also waiting on a PC reflash woop!

behold?
    COPPER TOP V2.0 (so far...)

close up of the shroud... i think it needs more olive oil. can barely tell it was done.
    also, i really needs bunny ears or something. looks really empty. i worked out a rough version of what i want. should be ready next time i update this thread.
    currently...

and thanks to Azmaria's awesome bake tut, here is my flat black grip section

that's all for now!
    until next time, OMM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

MR 616 "Joe Jedi"

Im not going to lie I like this alot. I love the deep fluted extension I can wait to do mine.

Update time!
    Redid the olive oil bake and MAN its a big difference with 500 degrees! Much better this time around. And i got some goodies in the mail today...
    GOT MY REFLASHED PC!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    and my bubble card. Its not movie accurate but thats fine s this saber is not a movie replica anyway.
    Pics later tonight! Maybe even illuminated testing? ; )

Also wired up the trustfie 3.7 to recharge port and tested in coppertop 1.5 with success. But now the econo board is giving me issues. Meh. No biggie.

So yeah, maybe some pics later!
    Last edited by Jedi Mynock; 06-29-2011 at 02:30 PM.

MR 616 "Joe Jedi"

First time I've seen someone use the new fluted section and I must say - me likey!
    Yub Yub Commander.