Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first MHS saber the Corellian Khanda.

Default My first MHS saber the Corellian Khanda.

The Corellian Khanda by Darth Inferis.
    Okay, this saber has been a real labour of love for me. I started making it about a year ago. It's my first MHS saber.
    My friend Daren was kind enough to wire up the accent LED driver board. Just as well really because the board can power up to 8 LED's, has 20
    pre programmed animations & is smaller than my thumb nail! My soldering iron just wasn't up to the task (it's a bit bulky & as subtle as a half brick).
    The name is a reference to my Anglo Indian heritage. A Khanda is an Indian two handed sword & is also a sacred symbol in the Sikh religion.
    As this was built to be a two handed saber the name seemed perfect. I also wanted the saber to be basic, earthy & natural.
    The kind of saber a Jedi with a strong connection to the natural world would use.
    I could see it being used by a Correlian Jedi like Quinlan Vos.

The Specs
    As mentioned an MHS hilt with a custom LED plate made by Daren & I. Brown distressed leather sleeve grip hand cut & stitched by me.
    Master Replicas Yoda soundboard hard wired to an MR Yoda battery plug.
    An accent LED driver board wired up to the soundboard output & powering 6x5mm cyan LED's.
    LuxeonIII cyan bin 3 (near as I can tell)

The pics.
    (Dusty old shelf time. lol)

And the videos
    (I use the term very loosely, the quality is awful because I filmed it on my mobile phone. Apologies in advance.)

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r...8062011004.mp4

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r...9062011010.mp4

Thank you for looking.

I love it. The design flows very well from tip to tip and it appears very comfortable. I also really, really like the LEDs.
    Is that a trim ring on the blade holder or a custom job? If it's a trim ring, how do you keep the lens holder from rattling?
    Very nice saber.

It is indeed a regular trim ring & there's a matching one between the edge of the leather grip & the pommel. Three small dabs of hot glue in a triangular pattern on the inside edge of the blade holder aperture keeps the lens holder nice & snug. It needs a lot of heat to even so much as soften so the heat from the LuxIII isn't a problem. The leather is very comfortable for the lower grip & the choke is perfect for the upper grip while my fingertips rest nicely on the edge of the control box.
    The LED driver is just brilliant. Like I said it has 20 different animation patterns, 3 brightness levels, multiple speed settings & all controlled with a single momentary switch. It can run on anything from 3-9V & it self regulates the output depending on the LED's wired to it. It's very fiddly though. The board, like I said, is smaller than my thumb nail & there are 16 solder pads in a row for the positive outputs & 8 for the negative.

Looks really good, I like the leather grip and it does flow nicely.
    Yub Yub Commander.

It has an excellent combination of colors and lines!

The Cyan blade and accent LEDs contrast nicely with the dark chocolatey brown leather, the trim rings just inside the tapers at both ends is a pleasing transition.

I almost want to see a third trim ring, placed between the leather and the control box, to bracket the grip, but it would have to be a fairly low-profile ring, so as not to make holding the hilt uncomfortable. In any case, it's a very nice job!
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Nice, I like sabers with a bit of nature. In your case leather. It puts a warm look to it. Great job.

i have that same switchbox! its a mofo if you arent creative hahaha nice work!
    i'll try to post pics of mine soon. came up with a similar design. sorta. ; )

i really dig the leather grip, and i am usually not a fan of leather on sabers. great job!
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

looks great, love the grip!

i have a question, i've seen those types of saber stands but can't seem to find them anywhere. specifically the rebel symbol/marek crest designed ones.
    where'd you get yours?
    The Dark Side is all I have...

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. It's a great feeling to work on a custom saber for so long, enduring one setback after another & then finally to see it come to life just as you imagined it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_a* View Post
    looks great, love the grip!

i have a question, i've seen those types of saber stands but can't seem to find them anywhere. specifically the rebel symbol/marek crest designed ones.
    where'd you get yours?
    Yeah, the stand. Ummm. Considering that Tim sells his own stands I believe the forum rules prevent me from mentioning the manufacturers by name or even suggesting where the information is more readily available. That's also why I didn't reveal where the LED driver came from. Would a moderator possibly be able to advise me on this as I don't want to risk a major faux-pas after being here for such a short time? I really want to help but I don't want to risk offending Tim either.

understandable.
    The Dark Side is all I have...