Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turn down heatsink?

Default Turn down heatsink?

A while ago I had Tim customize a blade holder for me and put it top & center with the switch on the hilt (and blade holder screw lines up as well). Looks awesome like all Tim's work does.

Finally getting around to finishing up the saber, but discovered a problem today. Once the heatsink is in place, I'm enough off of center from the switch to be noticeable now. Do you think there is a way to turn, down or sand down the head sink enough for it to line up?
    Yub Yub Commander.

Maybe post some pic's so we can better see whats happening.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm guessing that you got either BH12 or BH17. So it would be a bit too counterclockwise from the switch hole, correct? You can also sand a little off the bottom of the blade holder, removing a little of the threading at a time. Keep cleaning off the threads and screw it back on, checking it till it lines up how you want it.

Just make sure everything's smooth and clean before doing your final assembly.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Here is a picture of it, and JL had it right #12 it is. So, just sand down the BH threads huh? Probably easier.
    Yub Yub Commander.

IMHO..

DO NOT TOUCH the bladeholder..

1.) you got it modified you said.
    2.) it costs MORE than a heatsink..

so mod'ing the cheaper and easily replaceable heatsink is my suggestion.

I say get some 400-600 grit sandpaper..

hold the heatsink upside by its 'nub' and rub back and fourth a few times over the sandpaper... keep checking fitment ever few passes or so..

eather one should do the trick. i have sanded down a blade holder the same way you are saying to sand down the heatsink xl97. aslong as its done little by little shoud be easy squezy.

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

KH, it would be easy for a machinist to face the threaded portion of the bh, but like both JL and xl said- it would be much more practical to sand the heatsink (called lapping). You could also lap the bh so that they meet in the middle. However, I would suggest getting something rougher than 400 paper. Copper is soft and will come easy, but anything finer than 300 is going to do more polishing than material removal.
    What the heck is an aluminum falcon?!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm the one that said to sand the blade holder threads, not the heat sink.

I had to do this recently on an MHS saber I but together for a friend. It's using one of the new style blade holders and heat sinks. I didn't check it first, before I drilled and tapped the blade retention screw, because I didn't think it would have the same issue as the old style. But apparently it did.

The screw hole didn't line up with the switch hole, and I remembered reading about someone slowly sanding down the threads on a blade holder when they had the same issue and I tried it and it worked.

It did take a bit more elbow grease to get it sanded down than I thought it would, but I was satisfied with the results.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Thank you Jedi Loreen. I will probably do it 2 ways. 1) start with lapping the heatsink (can't hurt), then 2) finish by sanding what I need to on the threads. That idea after you mentioned it made since to me.
    Yub Yub Commander.

keep in mind that if you use that BH with another heatsink that is NOT too thick.. but perhaps the normal thickness.. it will be loose. and you will have to shim it.