Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Saber Build help

Default New Saber Build help

All, I'm new to the saber building, and have purchased the shell of my saber, but need help with some things.

Here is the shell:

I got the main body machined w/ this:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bo...vice-P627.aspx

and am going to go w/ this switch:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/DP...itch-P436.aspx

My hinderance right now is that i'm not electrical saavy, and that is where i'm coming to you all:

Please let me know what I would need to do to get this going. I want to do a Cyan LED for the blade and no sound.

Thank you for your help and advice.
    Last edited by MedicineMan; 11-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Might want to start reading the threads in this forum: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ene-Start-Here

In particular, http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...sistor-variant) will give you basic wiring for a soundless lightsaber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Boy, that's a long saber.

Is there a reason you're getting the slotted double male extension if you're not having a crystal chamber? That's what most people use them for.

It sounds like you need to do a lot more reading on the forums here. Start by reading all the Stickied threads, especially this one: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-MHS-saber-huh

What is your battery solution going to be? Will you be using rechargeables, or are you just going to use the recharge port as a kill key?

You're going to need to know what batteries, and the voltage you're going to use before you can use the Resistor chart on the Store page to determine what resistor you're going to need for the main LED. You will also need to put a resistor on the LED for the illuminated switch.

Do more reading, then you can ask more specific questions.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Much space, there is, in this saber of one & a half feet, yes! Solid reccommendations from the above Jedi there are, heed them you must!

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Blog Entries

I would ask, first do you want sound; second what color are you going with for the main LED; third how much are you thinking of spending for the electronics?

Before you do anything else you should know these things. Once you know these things read, read and read some more. There are many vidio clips that show how to and what you may need for the "guts" of your saber, then if you have more questions then you can ask the experts.

Also welcome to the world of saber building!!

Quote Originally Posted by hebert466 View Post
    I would ask, first do you want sound; second what color are you going with for the main LED; third how much are you thinking of spending for the electronics?

Before you do anything else you should know these things. Once you know these things read, read and read some more. There are many vidio clips that show how to and what you may need for the "guts" of your saber, then if you have more questions then you can ask the experts.

Also welcome to the world of saber building!!

Sound, not right now. LED color: Cyan, how much am I thinking of spending: enough to get the job done I was thinking about putting a crystal in that double male slot as well.

i know a foot and a half is long, but i've always been entrigued by the long-handled sabers.
    Last edited by MedicineMan; 06-03-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

in that case, i would replace that pommel with a second emitter and turn that beast into a staff...

looks like it'll be a rather interesting build either way. ^_^
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

So you say you already purchased this?

Well instead of looking back, lets look forward and try to get something built you can be proud of... unless your 7' tall (like dooku's apprentice, Savage Opress from the cw cartoon) your really not going to like the handling of such of long hilt (18") is near staff length.. but to achieve a balance point (for spins) you really need the other blade. Here's a quick test.. tape a couple empty paper towel rolls together.. hang it off your belt.. imagin yourself spinning it.. now take a broom stick and measure 36" (thats a pretty common size blade) how far does it stick out... touching the ground? could you spin it (with any dexterity?) then if you think its cool, well I think its cool(really its your build)

It looks like you have some terrific parts and could easily make a great saber (with some awesome extra parts for a sister/brother build). What I'm saying is you always have options, keep them open, dont get yourself painted into a corner.

I prefer to build from the inside out so in that spirit I'll list the things I would do (or get)

- You will need a heatsink(it comes with your blade holder, your fine)

- I recommend (but its optional) a thermal pad (between the LED and the heatsink) http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/St...-pad-P483.aspx

- You will need to choose your MAIN LED (also in the store)

- You will need a battery pack (get the 4aaa one) its 6volts on regular batteries (NO I do not recommend that you worry about rechargables on your first build, dont make things so complicated yet)

- You will need to use the resistor calculator (in store) to calculate which resitor you need, and buy that resistor

- You will need a switch (it MUST BE LATCHING) if you use a momentary switch your saber will only be on when you press the button (you want a nice "clicky" type switch from the store that way its click on, click off)

You need to get some wire (red & black from the store is fine), solder, heatshrink.. just the basic stuff (NO DONT USE ELECTRIC TAPE, EVER!!) and this is all assuming you have some (very basic) electronic experience.

From that point it goes + of battery pack to switch, other leg of switch to MAIN LED +

Neg of battery pack to resistor, other leg of resistor goes to the neg pad on the MAIN LED.. done!! (congrats! and you can put all that into about 5" space easily)

I really hope that helps to clear up some things or get your shopping list in order.. from now on BEFORE you place an order go on and post to get it double checked (thats a good rule for everyone no matter how much experience they have)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

dgdve, thank you so much for your help. I might send you a PM if that's cool to discuss further. Kinda lay out the internals more, and what all I'll need to get. Unfortunately i'm not electronic saavy, but am willing to learn so that way I can make amazing sabers Again, thank you for your help dgdve, and everyone else who commented.

on the LED, which is your preference? LUX III, IV, or K2?
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 06-06-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Hey MM, please don't doublepost. You can hit the Edit button down here ---v to update your old post with new information.
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?