Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish designs for my first saber.

Default Newish designs for my first saber.

As I slowly save money to build my first saber, I find myself constantly playing around with and changing design, mostly just changing small things. I believe I have narrowed it down to two possibles, but I sadly will not be able to afford both. Just looking for some 3rd party critiques, criticism, ideas, etc. Both of these pictured would be stunt sabers holding a carbon fiber blade, at first at least. I'm leaning more towards the bottom one personally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Also a question I forgot to ask. Anyone know a place/site that has Graflex style 'knobs' and 'glass eyes' that could be added to a saber, maybe as a screw in thing?
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I like the bottom one better, too. It had more interesting shapes and features to my eye. Also, please don't double post so close together, use the Edit button and add your second thought to your first post.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

First: Please don't double post. There is an edit button next to each post for a reason. EDIT: And I'll use that edit button to good purpose, since J-Lo types faster than me.

That being said, I like the bottom one better. The lines of the hilt flow better to my eye, and I think the black/copper placement at not-quite-the-base of the top saber looks odd.

Not sure about glass eyes, but searching around the interwebs using the keywords "Graflex" and "knob" should do you well.
    Last edited by (null).exe; 06-02-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: J-Lo types faster
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

I'd pick the bottom one as well. I like the color scheme you have going on there.

Oh and Saberkit sells those knobs and screws.

I'm inclined to agree with J-Lo here. The bottom one looks more balanced to me. I'm curious why you're intending to go for carbon fiber blades? The polycarbonate blades in the store hold up exceptionally well in dueling, and you'll need one later when you want to add light to your saber. I'd consider saving the money on a CF blade and using it towards the other components you'll be using.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

First off, sorry about the double post. I'm multi-tasking between several things and hastily clicked the wrong button. As for why I'm planning on carbon fiber blades: one of the sabers I have (bought for me like 7 years ago) has a poly-carbonate blade, and personally I think that it makes the saber way too front heavy, which is odd cuz the hilt is somewhat pommel heavy. Someone I know has a hilt with a CF blade and it seems to add almost no weight to the hilt, allowing the hilt to keep most of its balance. I also cannot afford the electronics right now on a college student budget.

Thanka, Rafalema for suggesting Saber Kit, found exactly what I was looking for! And thanks to everyone else for their input so far!
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

The bottom one I'm probably going to steal at some point

It's awesome

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Definitely the bottom one. It looks far more sleek and fast (in terms of combat).

bottom design looks sleeker than the other ....go with the second design