To me.. instead of buying a different type of battery (IF your real concern is runtime or charges) just buy the same size Li-ion but a better brand (AW for instance makes awesome, although sometimes pricey batteries in the exact configurations that have been "community tested and approved").

That way your not buying a bunch of stuff to test that the others just arent willing to invest in (yet).

Alternately remember (and SR) will tell you.. not everyone was willing to test or retrofit a saber (and various heatsink/fan designs) to run that crazy ssr90 LED (read: death ray) that he used in his contest saber.

Search PRAXIS (thats his build and not many guys stood up when he said "hey guys lets try this") So I encourage independant study (but ask yourself if your ready for independant investment) it wasnt cheap or easy for SR to become the master of BRIGHT!!

I really hope this helps and doesnt put to much of a downer on your idea's... its the idea's that shape the future of this hobby (that being said) I still dont see the ssr(or the li-po) becoming industry standard (for quite some time if ever).. but did that stop SR??? Nope (but really ask him how much slower it is to go it nearly alone).

btw dont feel bad for SR since I singled him out.. I'm simply pointing to an innovator within our community (and his post was right there LOL)