Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: MHS Starkiller from parts to saber.

yeah, i had a hard time deciding whether to do rubber strips. modified graflex strips perhaps, but i really wanted to stick with the thicker ABS. i get what you're saying though. i can't wait to see it man.
    if i had the extra $$$ to do it all MHS style like you are, i would've gone that route. but a sink tube saber is gonna be significantly cheaper especially with the parts i already had in the garage.

definitely give some detail on the painting you did when you post the pics. i'm probably going to go with some metallic copper and black spray paint with a clear coat.
    then i have to think about weathering. i was going to go with aluminum black but i hear it doesn't do well with sink tubes.
    The Dark Side is all I have...

I honestly don't know how to use aluminum black lol so unroll I get the gonads to try it my Starkiller will be somewhat clean lol, paint pealed off... So I redid it it should be good now pics of the complete grip section coming soon

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Looks great so far. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Aluminum black: dab it on with a q-tip in the places you want it. do it heavy, then let it dry/oxidize for like 15 minutes. Take off/fade the edges of the dark areas with 0000 steel wool. Whatever you don't want on, will come off. Easy. Try it, you'll slap your forehead for being scared of it.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Aluminum black: dab it on with a q-tip in the places you want it. do it heavy, then let it dry/oxidize for like 15 minutes. Take off/fade the edges of the dark areas with 0000 steel wool. Whatever you don't want on, will come off. Easy. Try it, you'll slap your forehead for being scared of it.
    Totally agree...piece of cake. Just make sure you get any machining oils off for best results. It really darkens scratches/imperfections nicely too. If you're at all hesitant to try something new use a test scrap like you grip section you cut out to see how it works and get a feel for it.

ok cool I will Right now Im having paint issues...the copper paint went on smooth and great, but the black runs as if oil is on the piece...but I know theres not...so I used a thin base of primer...gues what sitll runs and dosent stick...bothe the black and copper are same paint brands....idk when I get home from work Ill see how my THIRD attempt turns out. lol if it works this time ill add the grips and take pictures.

can't wait to see the pics. what paint did you end up going with? link?
    The Dark Side is all I have...

you know i'm watching this... i got some ideas too. i'll let you know when i get going on mine. ; )
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

You are doing excellent work so far!

Keep it up and I'm sure you'll end up with awe-inspiring Starkiller!

thanks guys im using krylon metallic copper...not mirrored but its got metal flake in it, and standard black krylon satin black... I think I have a faulty black can because no matter how clean the piece is it almost seems like oil or water spots.... I tool the tape of this morning and things looked gooos (so far) im using pcv grips ill cut and paint tomorrow, then that piece will be done lol, ill also start the shroud and chassis. My dad got me some sheet metal today from his work, so ill belooking at it later hoping its think enough to not look rediculas lol I need to post pics because Im sure you are all dieing to see it lol. It wont be a vaders vault but Im hoping even they will be impressed lol. Thanks for the Positive feedback.