Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So I Suppose I Should Say Hello

Default So I Suppose I Should Say Hello

I figured since I'm new I should post here like other people do.

So yeah, I'm new here. I got very interested in this site and in building my own saber. The idea just kind of popped into my head that it would be cool to have a unique designed saber for myself, and when google searching around brought me to this place I thought the idea of actually designing and building the saber myself would be cool, adding a lot of personal touch to it.

I've been reading the forums a bunch to gather information, I have a basic idea of the kind of design I want for my saber but nothing concrete yet. No experience with anything like this or electronics, soldering, drill and tapping or anything like that but I want to make an awesome saber for myself still.
    Last edited by Inervia; 06-03-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Welcome to the Forums!

The basic advice here is: read, Read, READ!

There are a multitude of stickies covering every topic from soundboard layout to soldering to painting. Take the time to search thoroughly on your topic, read all the stickies (even if they don't directly pertain to what you want to do) and browse the recent threads.

Have fun!
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Hi Welcome! I was you 5-6 months ago. I have learned soooo much here (even how to get myself flamed), Everyone is friendly and helpful. As Nully said, read all the stickies, and use the search feature, (odds are your question has been asked before). Play with the MHS Builder, It's really cool.
    Above all els, Have Fun!

welcome to the forum

head the advice that others have posted

read all stickies...you might have questions and sure it has already been answered already in those stickies

Welcome to the fold.
    Hot tip if you looking for some good instruction manuels, I would look up the 'Stickys' or even look for links in some of the members signitures like Lord Dottore Matto, or Jin Starkiller!!
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

welcome to the most expensive hobby I've had yet... =)
    Yub Yub Commander.

All good advice so far. To echo what Knighthammer said; yes it's expensive, but worth it. And honestly the best advice I can give is to be sure of your design before ordering. I've made a couple of changes to sabers and it just gets more costly from there, to help I started modeling them in 3D to be sure I liked how it looked. Try imagining it in your hands (How would you hold it one handed, two handed, upside down, etc). And once you've made your saber, it's a great feeling to "ignite" it in your hands for the first time.... Welcome!
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

welcome! remember to read read read! but if you have a question, we're here for you as well. ^_^
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Its always great to add another name to the roster!!

I wont reiterate the "read the stickies" part (As you've already been givin some great advice). Instead, allow me to Welcome you to the tcss "family"!! (I stress family because you already cursed in your opening post LOL heheehehe ooo snaps') but seriously your fine (I know you were excited so dont worry just watch your post and remember TRYING TO CHEAT THE CENSOR will get you in trouble, ie a$$ isnt really cool... ). <-NOT that anything you did was wrong or purposely bad just trying to keep you on the right path (from the start)

Anywayzzz.. "Welcome and please enjoy yourself", You'll find that there are MANY MANY great websites out there regarding "custom saber's", what I've found in my years is there is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for the feeling of accomplishment you will get from not just, Designing on paper..-> moving to the MHS builder..-> moving from there into the various production aspects involved in your build.. Be it soldering up your first working switches and main LED's on up up up up to the SERIOUS detail prep work involved in Powdercoating/painting (baking enamel) vs rattle cans.. the stunning shroud (overlay) work adding those depth charateristics... yeah your in the right place (there's a tut for everything from start to finish basically and these are regualarly updated with new idea's or techniques)

The VERY best builders (imho) in our industry (names you will surely recognize from other places) have been kind enough to build and write the tutorials.. essencially giving away all those "gold nuggets" of insider info for FREE, simply in the name of the common good for the community.. THAT alone is why I call this a family (and defend it as such).

ANYTHING saber related is here (IF its been asked more then 3 times, its become a sticky). Got a question about resistance measurements or just need to bounce some idea's off someone else(we're here).. Need to know how to cut that sinktube off so evenly (ask away).. questions about what glues/materials/tools/recommendations.. its here, ALL of it is here and well documented ..

Yes the hobby can be expensive (measure twice, no no THRICE, and cut once, it makes it much much cheaper.. and double check your cart BEFORE you place your order).. but really ask yourself, when is something "cheap and easy" very worthwhile? So thats the trade off and you'll be fine

Remember your at "Tcss - The one stop saber shop" or as I like to say "Tcss - The place where we build our own!"(<-you know..like true jedi/sith) ~dgdve
    Last edited by dgdve; 06-02-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: This is not the edit your looking for
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Thank you all, I'll certainly be sure to read all the stickies as everyone has pointed out.

I've already accepted that making a great saber will be at least somewhat expensive, but I'm quite excited seeing some of the things others have made and hope to make one at least half as good as some others.

I think I've settled on a design on paper, just have to confirm on some construction methods as to if it'll work, I'll be sure to spend my time reading before doing any buying.