Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TCSS Saberbuilding Contest Results

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Default TCSS Saberbuilding Contest Results

Okay folks, the polls are all done and we have a winner! Here are the top six builders

1st Place: Saber #10 by Borax
    2nd Place: Saber #1 by Sunrider
    3rd Place: Saber #9 by IG-88
    4th Place: Saber #8 by Darth Midian
    5th Place: Saber #6 by Cannibal869
    6th Place: Saber #12 by Vctrsone

Tim has generously offered TCSS Gift certificates for 1st and 2nd place. Expect messages from him, Borax/Sunrider.

The rest of the builds (in order of submission) are as follows:
    Saber #2 by Azmaria Dei
    Saber #3 by bk_renesis
    Saber #4 by cardcollecter
    Saber #5 by Aradian Valentine
    Saber #7 by Takanis
    Saber #11 by Silver Serpent
    Saber #13 by IndustrialAction
    Saber #14 by Crystal Chambers
    Saber #15 by TimeRender
    Saber #16 by iamdrake

I'd like to say that I was really impressed by all the entries. Everyone pushed their skill levels up to the next level and some really inspiring sabers came out of it!

I've got a few things to say about each saber.

Sunrider - Fantastic saber! You did a great job masking the MHS parts. It took me a long time to figure out how you did a lot of the construction, especially that emitter shroud. Since you got second place, there's not much advice for me to give. I think the crystal chamber is a bit crowded, but that's really personal preference. A+ work!

Azmaria Dei - This is your best saber to date IMO. The paintwork on it is excellent. It reminds me of marble, except very sithy to go along with the saber. My suggestion would be to have put the electronics in a chassis instead of just heatshrunk together. Being able to unscrew the bottom half of the saber to access the SD card/whatever is very handy.

bk_renesis - You've come a long way since your first 'samurai' PVC saber! Very nice clean wiring, too. You can use thinner gauge wire which will help save a ton of room when cramming more into a hilt. Well done weathering, everything looks good except for the 'top' of the emitter (way too much black still there).

cardcollecter - This saber strikes me as a great dueling saber. No real frills, good grip, built for beating the crap out of people. The electronics look very secure in that chassis. Suggestion time.. The paint scheme is very monochromatic. Nothing on it really grabs the eye, and the chassis is the same way.

Aradian Valentine - This is a night and day improvement from last year's entry! Great job on making such a clean saber. That gloss black PC is a pain to not scratch, I do it all the time. Nice job with the chassis, too. Having the saber break apart like that even with a ribbed grip down low is impressive.

Cannibal869 - I was a fan of this saber right when I saw it. Reminds me of some of VV's older builds. I've never seen a saber with a springloaded crystal chamber reveal like that. Very well done, I'd like to see some build pics. Remember to heatshrink the threaded rods in your chassis to avoid grounding out the sound board or battery pack (the insulation on those is really thin). Your shroud looks like it wasn't sanded very much, either. That's what takes the build over the edge.

Takanis - Unless I'm mistaken, this is your first build. Very nice job on it! Clean cuts on the shrouds and the wiring looks very good. My only suggestion is to keep building. This is as good as a first saber will get, now you gotta push yourself on each saber. Try at least one new thing on each build you do, you'll be amazed how quickly your sabers get up to the 'pro' level.

Darth Midian - Cool build! Organic sabers are very hard to do well, but you nailed this one. The venting around the emitter is my favorite part of it. The seam in the middle is pretty visible, though I don't know enough about sculpting to recommend a fix. I think I speak for many people here: Use metal. You've mastered PVC sabers, lets see what you can do with MHS or just metal tubing (eastern57 style). This contest is about growth, I was really hoping to see a kickass metal saber from ya

IG-88 - This is a saber that really caught my eye. I had a hard time believing it was MHS at first. Undoubtedly this is the coolest MHS-based Starkiller that I've seen. Turning it to brass was a great idea and it worked well. When you're soldering onto the PC board, have the wires pointed 'inwards' instead of 'outwards'. You'll be amazed at how much room is saved doing it this way. Your pictures turned out very well which is another part of why this saber caught my eye.

Borax - Dude, I really don't have anything to say. This saber is crazy on every level, I really want to see build pics/get more info on how you built it.

Silver Serpent - This is only your 4th saber and you're already tackling double-shrouds. That's impressive. Going green with the saber was a risky move but I think it worked overall. I wish we got to see inside the saber, wiring is a big part of my vote. For you my advice is the same as Takanis. Build more sabers and try something new on each one. Your skills will grow very rapidly.

Vctrsone - This was one of my personal favorite sabers from the contest. It screams steampunk like no other saber to me. The fact that you even soldered the ribs together shows your drive to be 'punk' Nice clean chassis too, this was a solid build. The LEDs on the control box aren't perfectly aligned and that hurts the flow a bit but other than that I really liked this saber.

IndustrialAction - This is your best saber to date in my opinion. I've only seen one or two other sabers with carbon fiber on them, I think it should be used more often. The saber seems a bit long but if you're a two handed dueler then it would make sense. It looks to me like some slack could be taken out of the wires but I could be wrong. Great work!

Crystal Chambers - This is a very solid dueling saber in my book. Nothing to get in the way while fighting, just a simple yet elegant saber. It reminds me of some of Madcow's early work. The low-placed chokes are pretty comfy to hold and it looks cool on this hilt. My only suggestion is to ditch the guarded switch and go AV. It would improve the lines a lot I think.

TimeRender - This is definitely your best saber yet. The dual overlays are really slick looking. I like the color scheme a lot. This is one of the only white sabers I've liked. Nice, clean, wiring. That chassis looks rock solid, this would be a fun saber to take out with a few friends. You would have gotten many more votes if the pictures had been better. Even the best saber ever made will look like crap with poor lighting and a bad camera.

iamdrake - This is your first saber if memory serves. It has very clean lines, I personally like the design a lot. Your photography skills are great, the pics on the black leather made the saber look particularly good. Forward gear sections are a personal favorite of mine, too. My only advice is to build more and push your skills on each build.

That's all I have. Once again, great job everyone! Feel free to comment on this thread with your personal thoughts on different builds.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    IG-88 - This is a saber that really caught my eye. I had a hard time believing it was MHS at first. Undoubtedly this is the coolest MHS-based Starkiller that I've seen. Turning it to brass was a great idea and it worked well. When you're soldering onto the PC board, have the wires pointed 'inwards' instead of 'outwards'. You'll be amazed at how much room is saved doing it this way. Your pictures turned out very well which is another part of why this saber caught my eye.
    Thanks for the GREAT comments! With my soldering iron tip, I was having trouble on the PC board. I have recently purchased a Weller soldering station with some small tips to do better wiring jobs on the boards. Great job to everyone, and congratulations to the winners! Everyone put out some amazing sabers for this, and I think I can speak for everyone that build threads would be appreciated all around. Thanks for letting us participate in this.
    Formerly known as Polarcupz

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Congrats to everyone that entered the contest ...you all did a good job on all the sabers that entered

HOLY SMOKES !! thanks every one for the votes and support! I honestly did not expect to win against praxis (sorry sunrider. i DID vote for you ) thank you LM for all your work on the contest and Tim in advance for any prize handed out it was a super fun build and i am glad to have participated.

I do actually have a complete A-Z build log on this saber but it's my anniversary weekend so it will be a day or so before I have the time to post it.

thanks again everyone and to everyone else who participated, those were some very awesome sabers this year. cant wait to see the build logs for all of them !

Congrats to the winners and to all the entrants for making some great sabers.

Borax, Sunrider... teach me?

Please?

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

TimeRender - This is definitely your best saber yet. The dual overlays are really slick looking. I like the color scheme a lot. This is one of the only white sabers I've liked. Nice, clean, wiring. That chassis looks rock solid, this would be a fun saber to take out with a few friends. You would have gotten many more votes if the pictures had been better. Even the best saber ever made will look like crap with poor lighting and a bad camera.
    Yeah, I was sick as a dog the night the pics were due, my sister dropped off her camera but I couldn't figure it out so I used an old digital that hasn't worked right in years... I was being impatient because I needed sleep or death. I don't think it would have changed the outcome but I'll post some better pics of it soon.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

Azmaria Dei - This is your best saber to date IMO. The paintwork on it is excellent. It reminds me of marble, except very sithy to go along with the saber. My suggestion would be to have put the electronics in a chassis instead of just heatshrunk together. Being able to unscrew the bottom half of the saber to access the SD card/whatever is very handy.
    /blush

thanks... i tried fitting a chassis in there, but just didn't have 2 extra millimeters for anything more so i left it as-is supporting itself (and hoping it would act as a self-chassis, which it kinda does in a way) and pressed between the speaker holder and the choke. looking back, i should have gone ahead and made a micro crystal chamber opposite the switches and threaded a couple rods into the choke to act as a chassis - i don't have a way of drilling holes like that at the moment though - the bit won't fit in my dremel. but more dremel bits and bobs are on the way, so who knows? ^_^

i still have a long way to go though, it seems. ^_^ i have to catch up with all these other wonderful saber crafters. ^_^ congrats to everyone! and especially those that won! i'll be watching you closely, so watch out!
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

All of this year's contest sabers were top shelf! Congrats to Borax & the other winners!

hey timerender, I really like Ancalagon. I thought it really reflected its namesake