Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question: Do you Tin the LED?

Default Newbie question: Do you Tin the LED?

Howdy,

Yet another newbie question.

When wiring up an LED do you tin both the LED and the wires or just the wires?

Just paranoid about blowing the LED

Always tin both. With flux, a good tip, and a nice hot iron you can do it nice and quick.

Depends on the LED. Some of them (like the Seoul P4) come with pretinned pads. Others (LEDEngin 10w) don't. If the pad isn't tinned already, you should do so.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

My Seoul P4 White did not come tinned. I had to do both the wires and the LED...

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

My P4 greens and blues were pretinned. It would appear they're not all the same, so look at them closely before you begin. Either way, be sure that the LED pads and the wires are tinned before you attempt to join them. Your wallet will thank you later when you don't have to purchase new LEDs
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    My P4 greens and blues were pretinned. It would appear they're not all the same, so look at them closely before you begin. Either way, be sure that the LED pads and the wires are tinned before you attempt to join them. Your wallet will thank you later when you don't have to purchase new LEDs
    How will i know from visual inspection whether or not the LED is tinned?

I have a P4 and part of the reason I raised the question is that the square pads on the Led board have a silverish colour rather than the green grey colour on the shop picture would this indicate that it is tinned or just a variation in p4's?

Many thank's for your help and patience

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    I have a P4 and part of the reason I raised the question is that the square pads on the Led board have a silverish colour rather than the green grey colour on the shop picture would this indicate that it is tinned or just a variation in p4's?
    Chances are if they are silver in color already, then they are pre-tinned. If your wires are tined already, it should just take (literally) a couple seconds to solder the two together. The P4's I've worked with and the Luxeons have all been pre-tinned. I recently got a LEDEngin and it most definately is not.
    Yub Yub Commander.

RULE OF THUMB: TIN EVERYTHING
    (With the possible exception of your fingers)

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Skott said it plane and clear. Tin everything, that way there is no doubt.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    RULE OF THUMB: TIN EVERYTHING
    (With the possible exception of your fingers)
    QFT. and yes, don't tin your fingers...
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...