Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a little worried about getting a 3W red LED

Default I'm a little worried about getting a 3W red LED

I have seen some pictures in the galleries on the red LED sabers and it looks to me that they don't show up as good as green or blue but I have also heard that they put out more lumens than the others. I haven't been able to find any comparison shots of a red 3W LED and any other 3W color so it makes me skeptical to get that color. So could one of you give me some advice on this color and if I do get this color, what blade should I get and from where? I really appreciate your help and I am sorry if this is too noobish for you to handle. Feel free to flame me if you need to.

i have a comparison shot about 3 posts down of a 3w red and a 3w green

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...10&whichpage=2

As for what color you want, it is a matter of personal preference. I would not really take the lumen chart too seriously. With fresh batteries and a decently made blade, they are both really dang bright. I ended up liking the red more than i had initially anticipated. I am looking forward to having a few extra bucks to make a blue one next. Good luck to you and be sure and post a few pics when you get your sabers done. We all like to see them
    cheers

well, that really does help seeing how some people consider the green to be uber bright but I'm not getting a custom one, I'm getting a MR converted one. An anikan to be excact.

The red is bright, our eyes just respond better to green, thats all. Just pick the color you like best.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

I find the red is really bright. The different colours provide different "feels" of brightness... hard to explain.

Here's a shot of red, green, and royal blue, all 3w. The red was on low batteries and still held up.
    http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/RGB.bmp

Best thing is to experiment.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Yeah, but you see in that RGB shot it looks like the red fades more at the tip than the others. I know that the core is actually white and stuff but is the fade also camera magic or the low batteries?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<font size="3"><font color="blue">Why are you concerning yourself the pics of the RGB LEDs? You're not getting that for your saber, are you? It didn't sound like it. The individual LEDs in one of those doesn't have the same wattage as a single color 3W LED, so the "fade" won't be the same.

I think red is one of the better colors, for LED. Especially if you have any experience with the disappointment of red EL wire.</font id="blue"></font id="size3">

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

red led is bright and just what your looking for i mean just looking at the base blinds you lol,

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Interested in a comparison? I have my MHS green on Corbin's board and a MR Vader Conversion, would that satisfy your need?

Honestly, forget about brightness when picking colors. It's very subjective, and unlike EL there is no obvious "Oh, that one is dim" color. The difference you probably are making a big deal about is the amount of light it seems to cast... our eyes are less sensative to Red. It doesn't throw off that much light to our eyes, but to me I have no problems with the brightness.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

ok, heres something i found out a ways back. if you use the red/orange led, which has the higher lumens. the 3watter one, and use tims diffuser in the blade, it comes out more red than with corbins film. the film lets sore of the orange color thru. but tims diffuser cuts it back some to let the red show up more.

and im tellin ya, the 140 lumen red/orange with tims diffuser in the blade is so much brighter than a stock MR fx is. i know, i held mine up against a stock one a seller was sellin at the con, and even the seller said, da%$$ thats bright.

so if ya want real bright try that route.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...