Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Grip mounting idea, would like your thoughts

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think you'd find out "kwik"ly, on your own, that mixing up enough to do all your grips wasn't such a good idea.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I think you'd find out "kwik"ly, on your own, that mixing up enough to do all your grips wasn't such a good idea.
    LOL, nice
    The Dark Side is all I have...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks, I couldn't resist.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

i ended up going with some thumbtacks.
    i removed the covering over the head with some needle nose, drilled 2 1/16" holes per grip around the handle using a template.
    i had to take off about half the length of the tacks themselves and test fit everything.
    looks like it's gonna work great. i have to put 2 holes per grip now, then fit it all together with some glue/epoxy.

i got the KwikPlastik but it's definitely too....thick? it's more so for bigger sized projects. this is too detailed/pin-sized.

i'll report back when it's all put together. i'm heading out to the store to see if i can find the most heavy duty glue/epoxy for this type of job.

well as promised, here's the report.
    i don't have pics because i'm saving them for the build thread, but i basically followed my MS paint plan to a 'T'.

instead of KwikPlatik from JB weld (because it's way too thick for such a detailed project) i went with Loctite super glue gel epoxy.
    this stuff is amazing. VERY strong. sets quickly. easy to work with and the nose on the bottle is very pinpoint.

as stated above, i got a package of thumb tacks. went with these because the pin on them is just smaller than 1/16" and the head is massively wide, but flat as can be.
    i removed the covers from the heads and cut the pins on the tacks to about half size.

i made a template where i want the holes to be, then drilled 1/16" holes into the sink tube. two per grip.
    i carefully added the glue to the head of the tacks and mounted them through the holes, from the inside of the sink tube. firm pressure to get a good sandwich of epoxy between the tack head and the sink tube.

repeated this as many times as tacks. i have four grips, so eight times.

then came the hard part. i took my four grips, that are each only about 1/8" wide, marked the spots to drill and drilled 2 1/16" holes about 1mm deep per grip.
    this took a lot of care not to punch through the grip entirely as it's only about another 1/8" tall.

worked perfectly. i can't permanently mount them to the tack mounts just yet cause i need to paint the sink tube. but i mock mounted them and it worked PERFECTLY!!!!

i highly recommend Loctite super glue gel epoxy.
    http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Glue%201194744

it set great against the metal of the sink tube.

a couple pics of the finished mounts:

IMG_20110605_133957.jpgIMG_20110605_133940.jpg

Nice job, Ghost! I was thinking about this thread over the weekend. Glad to see you came up with a solution.

thx man i appreciate your input