Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Dueling groups

I'm game in MA! (South Central)

I already tried to get a thing going ("Attn: NE'ers") But there seems to be only about 3 people in the area.

But I wouldn't mind getting together for a little 1 on 1 with a group of people.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ

Reaper wrote: "But seriously, if anyone has any good ideas on how to practice blocking by yourself, let me know."

I think I can handle this one. We teach our students the standard 4 point kata: left flank, right flank, left leg, right leg. In the middle ages they also had a 5th: head, but we don't use this one for obvious reasons. 1]Find a pole, tree and a trusting person..*GRIN* 2] Assume the standard ready position: blade held in front of you at a 45 degree angle, right foot slightly ahead of the left. Strike the object on the right side at shoulder level, then repeat on the left side. Then strike at about knee level on the right side and then the left. Strike fast, but pull your hit, so that you strike the object lightly. You don't want to damage the tree, break your sword on the pole or send your friend, associate or SO to the hospital. Repeat this process. It's like the Karate Kid, wax on, wax off...paint the fence...side to side. The 4 point kata is the key to all other attacks and defenses. If you do it enough, then it is fairly easy to apply to other techniques. What you would be doing if you had another person with a sword would be to meet midway between the two of you. If you do it fast enough, the Jedi call it velocities. Doing this against a stationary object is the attack version. It builds strength and teaches control. The defense moves are the same except closer to your body to defend your shoulders, body and legs. I hope this helps some. What you really need is at least one other person. Look around. Check THEFORCE.NET boards for a club location near you. I'm sure that there are people there who would love to bang sticks with you.

Zhi-don Aquintas
    XO RL Sunrider Base
    Treasurer/Head Instructor
    Lightsaber training OCSWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zhi-don

Reaper wrote: "But seriously, if anyone has any good ideas on how to practice blocking by yourself, let me know."

I think I can handle this one. We teach our students the standard 4 point kata: left flank, right flank, left leg, right leg. In the middle ages they also had a 5th: head, but we don't use this one for obvious reasons. 1]Find a pole, tree and a trusting person..*GRIN* 2] Assume the standard ready position: blade held in front of you at a 45 degree angle, right foot slightly ahead of the left. Strike the object on the right side at shoulder level, then repeat on the left side. Then strike at about knee level on the right side and then the left. Strike fast, but pull your hit, so that you strike the object lightly. You don't want to damage the tree, break your sword on the pole or send your friend, associate or SO to the hospital. Repeat this process. It's like the Karate Kid, wax on, wax off...paint the fence...side to side. The 4 point kata is the key to all other attacks and defenses. If you do it enough, then it is fairly easy to apply to other techniques. What you would be doing if you had another person with a sword would be to meet midway between the two of you. If you do it fast enough, the Jedi call it velocities. Doing this against a stationary object is the attack version. It builds strength and teaches control. The defense moves are the same except closer to your body to defend your shoulders, body and legs. I hope this helps some. What you really need is at least one other person. Look around. Check THEFORCE.NET boards for a club location near you. I'm sure that there are people there who would love to bang sticks with you.

Zhi-don Aquintas
    XO RL Sunrider Base
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So out of curiosity... have you even really taken a kendo/kum do class/art before?

"All men die, but not all men live... which are you?"

Thanks, Zhi-don. Appreciate it. Back when I lived at home, I had a friend who would duel with me, but, at the time, I was way more advanced than him, so I was more teaching him. Now that I'm at college here in Green Bay, WI, I'm really the only person I know of that likes to sword fight. Plus it's not really encouraged on school grounds hahhaa. I'm definetly gonna try that out... we have a lot of forest around campus, so I'll find a spot somewhere. Thanks again for your help.

I dont claim to be an expert at anything. Someone has to teach and so after I learned I got the job. There are 3 of us. I am Headmaster only by virtue of starting the class. The other instructors have been doing shinai for more years than I have. I have not been trained in kendo, only shinai. Basically according to those who taught me shinai is somewhat the same, only no armor. In addition we pull our hits to avoid serious injury. We avoid head, neck and groin areas. We use standard shinai, EL and LED lightsabers. I did have some training in SCA style of combat in my younger years. Anyway we duel safely and make lightsaber training a skill to be learned and enjoyed. I am sure there are many out there better trained than I am, but the need was there and I responded. Nuff said.

Zhi-don Aquintas
    XO RL Sunrider Base

That's very cool, I think it would be neat to have something like that in the Richmond, Virginia area. Pretty much my training/dualing partner is four foot tall and still trying to learn himself.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

too bad, if it was OC new york, you could go by OCC and buy a bike. lol

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Anyone in the South Wales region of the UK, I need someone with some skill to fight