Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Original Light Saber c. 1977 Force Beam Flashlight Saber

Default The Original Light Saber c. 1977 Force Beam Flashlight Saber

IMG_0388a.jpgIMG_0390a.jpgIMG_0388a.jpgIMG_0390a.jpg

How many of you have ever owned or seen one of these? I was about 9-10 years old when I got this for Christmas the year Star Wars came out - the first time.

It's a plastic Eveready flashlight that you could get at any store for probably 50 cents or a dollar. They fashioned a plastic pommel cap, and ring that went around the flashlight head and a blade holder with a plastic tube on it. Inside is a green filter. Standard 2.4v flashlight bulb and 2 D cells.

That is the o.g. saber. I never had one. But look how far we have come.

Pardon my expression, buth thats 'Old School'
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

I remember a hilt that had an inflatable "blade" Not sure how old that one was, but it was "for the children"

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

I am pretty sure the inflatable blade was the official Star Wars branded product that came out. I remember being disappointed that that was all Kenner or whoever made it was putting out at the time. These were way more cool. They had one with a red filter, too.

this is cool i had one as a kid . it was handed down to me by my mum who said this was your brothers lightsaber, he wanted you to have it when you were old enough but your farther wouldn't allow it . and so she went against everythig dad said and gave me it. to cut a long story short goodby lamp shades goodby china doll goodby betamax vcr hello smaked bum

Hey, I had one of those. As you said was an ever-ready torch with a plastic ring. Not very bright. I eventually had to replace the torch with another one as it broke. Wow that takes me back to the 70's.
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight

I find it odd that it had a green filter even though the sabers in Episodes IV and V were all blue. What's the deal with that? They made Luke's a greenish Cyan-like color in the dvd releases and I've seen production art for Episode III with Anakin using a green saber. There must be some kind of conspiracy...

I've seen these before ...Uncle had one and was not very bright ....brings back the memories of youth .....good times

Well, the current crop of lighted sabers is certainly much more sophisticated and high-tech, but they're still essentially flashlights with translucent tubes attached.