Thread: Grips mounted from the inside vs. the outside

Default Grips mounted from the inside vs. the outside

I have been looking at a lot of builds over the past few days and I haven't seen any that have the grips mounted from the inside through slots cut into the hilt. The store sells them as grip style 1. Anyone have any thoughts? I like the clean lines of those style grips, but I wonder if even the slightest sacrifice if inner diameter could cause problems when it comes to getting the interior parts to fit inside.

It won't make much difference in terms of what you install, but it will force you to make some changes as to how you install it. Take for instance the chassis discs. They currently come in three flavors. Disc styles one and three would still work just fine, but style 2 would no longer be able to fit inside the piece that has the grips installed.

Thanks. I've been struggling with this for a couple of days. On a 7 inch main tube, I could just barely fit a 2.25 inch box 2 and 3.5 inch grip groves with about .25 inches to spare between the threads on either end, by my calculations. I believe the threads are about .5 inches. Maybe I should just go with the outside grips which I can cut and mount more easily - don't have to worry about threads and can easily cut them down around boxes and things as needed. And I guess you could also say it would have a more authentic look since the outside grips are like what they used in the movies.

Actually you should have no trouble doing exactly what you described. The edges of the screw holes for box 2 are exactly 2 inches apart. You're right about the threads, they are half an inch. That gives you a full 4 inches to install 3.5 inches worth of grip. You should be just fine. The only question is what you plan on installing in the hilt and how you intend to do it.

Also personal preference should never be compromised because it's what you see in the movies. If you like the way a certain thing looks go with it. Sabers are suppose to be personal (If you're concerned about being "canon" just remember that Starkiller's lightsaber had grips similar to grip style one).

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ght=starkiller
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Cool. Inside I was thinking 2 Lithium Ion pack with sound board. With box 2 it holds AV switch, aux momentary switch, and recharge port. Oh -and of course I'll need to mount a speaker. I want to put a MHS gear extender below the main body and the threads and then one of the larger pommels.

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus768 View Post
    I have been looking at a lot of builds over the past few days and I haven't seen any that have the grips mounted from the inside through slots cut into the hilt. The store sells them as grip style 1. Anyone have any thoughts? I like the clean lines of those style grips, but I wonder if even the slightest sacrifice if inner diameter could cause problems when it comes to getting the interior parts to fit inside.
    I have used these. they do effect inner diameter. it is annoying. things that should fit do not. be patient and plan carefully.

also keep in mind you dont HAVE to use both screws to hold the box down. use one further from the threads and you can push that box almost to the edge of your MHS piece.
    ; )