Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is sound worth it?

If you are concerned that you might get tired of the sound or that it might not be appropriate in all situations (costume parties, conventions etc.) then you can install a cut-off switch on your speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    Sound only gets old if done badly (=very cheap speaker and soundboard). It depends of the person though.
    I disagree. The cheapest soundboards can be made brilliant with a good install, and the most expensive soundboards can be ruined by a bad install.

Sound overall, well IMO it's 50% of the package.
    BUT. And this is very important.
    Sound installs are a trick up from a stunt saber's electronics. If you are not skilled in soldering and saberbuilding, I highly recommend you do a stunt install first, it's always upgradable after all.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Sound is always worth it, i mean when you think of a lightsaber whats the first thing that that stands out; the bar of light, or that magneificent hum and sound of the saber being swept through the air. mmmmm its just to awesome.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    I disagree. The cheapest soundboards can be made brilliant with a good install, and the most expensive soundboards can be ruined by a bad install.
    Indeed. But I did say "very cheap speaker" (like the hasbro ones) and a good install doesn't have a "very cheap speaker"

I have to agree with the current majority....Sound all the way. My first completed saber had sound and then I did a few stunt hilts but got bored of them quickly. I still like to have at least one mean flash light to carry around the yard at night but otherwise sound make a huge difference in a more genuine feeling saber. Boards have variety of characteristics in swing and clash sensors behavoir that you either need to adjust to or find what you're comfortable with. For instance knowing which gestures will set off the sensors might be limiting to your fighting style (depending on which board you have) but make for a better experience sound wise. Dueling with sound sabers is crazy fun.

They can take a while to do depending on your skill level, difficulty of design, etc. But I think it's well worth it. Especially when you can be proud in knowing you built it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    Indeed. But I did say "very cheap speaker" (like the hasbro ones) and a good install doesn't have a "very cheap speaker"
    Not true. I have built 2 sabers with economy boards, 1 with the econo speaker and 1 with the premium speaker. The premium speaker is much louder and a bit clearer, but that doesn't always mean better.
    I do not like a deafening activation sound and a hum you have to shout over. An economy speaker that hasn't been busted coupled with a good resonance chamber can sound great.
    It all depends on what you are looking for in a saber.

Thanks for the time and knowledge everyone, but please keep going if you have more thoughts. Good builds, info a padawan wouldn't know, all appreciated. Great job!

What's better Crystal Sound or Petit Crouton? And is CS just a soundboard no driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Jangotat View Post
    What's better Crystal Sound or Petit Crouton? And is CS just a soundboard no driver?
    CS Wut? Do you mean CF?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jangotat View Post
    Much to learn you have, Padawan.

Teach you everything, we cannot. Learn on your own as well, you must. More reading, must you also do.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!