Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stunt Saber for Filming

The adapter from Random Sabers uses a flush mounted set screw to pin the blade in. As such you can either use the same setup to pin the reducer to the adapter and then use your blade retention screw to hold in the reducer or drill a hole through the reducer and line it up with the hole for the blade retention screw so that you can pin the adapter directly using the blade retention screw. You really dont need just one screw pinning EVERYTHING in... but that can be done as well.

The main thing that I would be concerned with is that the reducer is plastic, not metal. Could be an issue when sparring. You won't know until you try.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Like I said, Random does make 1" reducers for the CF blades.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Sorry Skott, I forgot you mentioned that. I just automatically assumed that the TCSS reducer is what Grifter2444 was referring to.

I could not find anything on the Random Sabers website that states that he now offers 1" adapters for the carbon fiber blades. I take it this is either something Ryan mentioned in his forum or something you heard directly from him?

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You may be able to find a 1" to .5" metal bushing at a hardware store that would work. One of the best reasons to use CF blade instead of a standard 1" polyC blade is you can see the blade better. Another tip is to put some colored tape at the tip, middle and bottom of each blade. That will be a tremendous help to see where the blade starts and stops when rotoscoping. Keep in mind that you have 30 frames per second that you have to rotoscope for each saber and it is a huge help to have sharp markers where each blade starts and stops.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Actually the polyC technically should be completely taped up, as should the carbon fiber blades (Ryan Weiber and Michael "Dorkman" Skott completely taped theirs up with orange gaffer's tape) for overall better visibility. Wade, as you mentioned, having tape markers at the tip and base and middle of the blade should also be used, after the blade is completely wrapped in tape. As such, visibility is really not an issue when choosing which to go with. There are however other factors of course.

Apparantly some may think my "pro polyC" post in this thread was also an "anti carbon fiber" post. Nothing could be further from the truth. However having used both, I am fine with using either and do not think that thick-walled 1" O.D. polycarbonate tubing should be dismissed as an option for fan-filming. Especially since polyC is much cheaper and would be much better for nighttime filming by having the blade lit up (with a dim LED or EL wire to avoid "blowout" on camera).

There are pros and cons to using both. To help one decide which blade type is better for them, here is a breakdown of what I feel are the pros and cons of each...

PolyC (1" O.D. thick-walled):

Pros:
    Cheap. About 1/3 the price of a carbon fiber blade.
    Can be lit up for nighttime shooting (obviously this means that the "nighttime blade" should not be taped up).
    Strong. Possibly more durable than the Kilwell carbon fiber blades (Killwell makes the carbon fiber blades used by both Random Sabers and Saber Shop (not TCSS)) because of better flexibility.
    Multiple usage. You can use it as your normal blade for cons and costume parties, for dueling and for your fan film as well.

Cons:
    More flexible than carbon fiber blades. As such there is some whippiness when it collides with another blade. Nothing that can't be fixed by creative rotoscoping however.
    Thicker blade. The 1" O.D. leads to thicker blades after rotoscoping which is off-putting to most SW fan-filmers.
    Weight. 1" O.D. thick-walled polycarbonate blades (with tip and TCSS diffuser) are around double the weight of a carbon fiber blade (with aluminum 3/4" O.D. adapter attached). This means that your swinging movements will be slower when compared to using carbon fiber blades.

Kilwell carbon fiber blades (1/2" O.D.):

Pros:
    Strong.
    Not very flexible which makes it better for rotoscoping when the blade impacts something.
    Thin. This makes for a thin looking blade after rotoscoping which is desirable for most.
    Weight. Carbon fiber blades (with aluminum 3/4" O.D. adapter attached) are around half the weight of the 1" O.D. thick-walled polycarbonate blades (with tip and TCSS diffuser). This means that your swinging movements will be faster when compared to using 1" O.D. thick-walled polycarbonate blades.

Cons:
    Expensive. About three times more than, 1" O.D. thick-walled polycarbonate.
    Cannot be made to light up (at least not well or in a way that is practical for the purposes of fan filming).
    Limited usage: Not really desirable by most as a show blade for cons or costume parties.

There is one more con for carbon fiber blades but it's more for people who have tinnitus (like me) and it may not be an issue when the blade is completely taped up (at least no more of an issue than with polyC blades taped up). That being the loud clacking sound that the carbon fiber blades make when they hit eachother. It is quite loud and makes my ears ring very quickly and for a long time afterwards. Again, may not be an issue when taped up and for those that do not have Tinnitus.
    Last edited by ARKM; 05-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.