Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's MHS based "Kai Justice" Saber

Default Jay-gon Jinn's MHS based "Kai Justice" Saber

Right before I shut down the saber workshop for the big move in the basement (more on that later) I had been tapped by a member of my local 501st Garrison if I could build a saber to go with his new Rebel Legion Jedi costume he was starting on. He is of Asian descent, and so he had decided to do the Expanded Universe character "Kai Justice." I thought that would be an interesting challenge, so I said "heck yeah!"

For those that may not recognize the character, here's a few pictures of what he looks like:

You can get a pretty good idea of what the saber should look like in these pictures, too.

From the "Jedi vs. Sith: The Complete guide to the Force" book:

A couple more from the Dark Horse comics:

The Garrison member's name is Rome, and he's actually had a chance to meet the artist that based the character's look on himself:

Justin is on the left, Rome, the Garrison member doing the costume, is on the right.

These pictures were a big help in coming up with a design for this saber, and as usual, I decided to use all MHS parts to build it. Here is the render we came up with using the new MHS builder:

This render doesn't include the rear grips or the grooves on the hilt between the switch box and the gear piece that are seen in a couple of those images of the saber.

I emailed Tim and inquired about getting the double male threaded adapter style 2 machined to be a slip-over piece, and he thought it may be tricky to do, but it turned out great, as usual. He also machined the grooves in the main hilt piece.

Here was the parts on their arrival a few weeks ago:

Test assembly:

The saber got set aside while I packed up all my tools and parts I keep so I could move my saber building area out of the large room in my basement into a newly modified storage room until last weekend, when construction began in earnest on the saber. I believe that Rome is planning to unveil his new costume at Motor City Comic Con in Detroit in a couple of weeks, so I had to stop the basement work I was doing and get the saber finished for him, since the convention is coming up on May 13th-15th. I think it turned out fairly nice! Here's my interpretation of

The JGJSabers Kai Justice Saber

While not an exact replica as seen in the comic book images, the saber is as close as I could get it without having more parts custom made for it. The main blade led is a Seoul P4, the sound board is from an MR Anakin ROTS, and the battery solution is a set of NiMH rechargeable batteries. The electronics are fairly straight forward, mainly to reduce costs with the custom work that had to be done, and to allow for the changing of batteries at an all day costume event like MCCC.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Looks great Jay-gon!
    The cover tech button on the pommel is a great idea...doesn't break away from the rest of the design
    Yub Yub Commander.

Jay-Gon, your hilts are always fantastically complete in their serene simplicity, and this one continues the trend, while remaining quite close to the DH artwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
    Looks great Jay-gon!
    The cover tech button on the pommel is a great idea...doesn't break away from the rest of the design
    I think it's especially cool that Kai is apparently using a Covertec system himself. Note the belt in this picture:

Looks like a covertec belt clip to me!
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Blog Entries

love the look!!!

Haha..I knew you'd post a new build soon. Just a few weeks ago I said in shoutbox, "I sense a Jaygon build posting soon." Perhaps my intuition was slightly off and I sensed you ordering parts or something.

Nice! I like the interpretation. It's really bright too. Is that simply wired off the bridged string pads/leads?

Wait a minute..he tapped you? hehe

Good build. Looks great, just like the pics.

Wow, great to see some new ideas in this baby. Very nice bro, I think that "slip ring" idea will really catch on. Awesome build.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Youngling

thats a really nice saber I like the simplicity of it. A spot on to the actual saber!

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Did you find some kind of device that lets you reach in and take it right out of the comic book? lol Great saber as always Jay-Gon. It's nice to see a saber come straight off the page.

ALL new from the undisputed KING of the chrome shroud!! Comic books come to life!! (seriously) It cannot be stressed enough how close the saber and your friend resemble the comic book picture.. if he has a the costume, WE have a WINNER!!! (again)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"