Default Help With RGB LED

Hi Guys

i have a question here

how is the rgb LED?

the normal LED is like this
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/As...smallpic_t.gif
    right

and the rgb?

i have one violet saber here and it works with a led that is 2 colors, blue and red to make the color, but looks like there is a third led there, by switching the cables and putting a second on/off plug i make it change the color blue, red or violet when i want

there are three cables, i didnt open the led because is glued but i think i can put the fourth cable to make it RGB

but i didnt make to take good pics of the led

anyone can help me with this question?

rgb looks the same as the led stars that Tim sells in the store

They have 3 different dyes

1blue
    1green
    1red

You won't be able to cycle through all the colors on a RGB by putting a switch and wire

most people use pots to tweak the rgb to get the color that they are seeking to achieve

try searching these threads for the answers you seek

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Corbin-driver

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=rggb

i was reading these threads u post, but i think my led has just 2 colors, i have another green saber here
    and if i look to the led i can see 2 little transparent leds and 1 that looks like red, just like my violet saber, that i make it turn into blue, red or violet
    so i think my green saber has another color with it, but it is off, bocause therer are just 2 wires in the led

im tryn to get the hot glue of it
    so i can try put another wire

i think is that

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

hot glue on the LED? who made these sabers again?
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

sounds like what ultrasabers does when they do led assembly ...know from experience .....bad wiring job too...last time I took one apart had too much wire in hilt

ok I'm confused.. but is THIS your question? "how can I make my saber that I purchased from _____ (with an rgb installed) turn into a color change saber?". So it can be Red, Blue, or Green anytime I want!

(I see you've already taken it apart so you can see what I'm saying hopefully)

IF thats your question then YES, you are correct you can just put extra wires (and resistors) to the additional pads on the led star and additional switches on the hilt (if you have space for 3 switches). Then Whichever switch you turn on.. thats the color(turn on two switches to mix colors) I hope that helps!

WARNING!: Most of the "cheapo" rgb's use common positive OR common negative (look for this before you start your wiring), Always use the correct resistor! and good luck
    Last edited by dgdve; 05-04-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Quote Originally Posted by FavaSSJ5 View Post
    Hi Guys

i have a question here

how is the rgb LED?

the normal LED is like this
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/As...smallpic_t.gif
    right

and the rgb?

i have one violet saber here and it works with a led that is 2 colors, blue and red to make the color, but looks like there is a third led there, by switching the cables and putting a second on/off plug i make it change the color blue, red or violet when i want

there are three cables, i didnt open the led because is glued but i think i can put the fourth cable to make it RGB

but i didnt make to take good pics of the led

anyone can help me with this question?
    If its glued, you have to be VERY careful. Theres a high chance of damaging the LED if it is glued (a la Ultrasabers.)
    Second, if you only have one switch hole, your best move is a rotary switch with seperate resistors to each LED die. If its an ultrasaber, they use a 3W RGB with a common anode (+ side). So you use the - side to power the LED through the rotary switch. This should give you Red, Green, Blue, Violet, Cyan, Yellow or Yellow/Green.

If its a 4AAA setup like US usually uses, I'd recommend the following resistors: 2 OHM on Blue, 2 OHM on Green, 3.9 Ohm on Red. That should do the trick.

The 3W RGB with common anode is set up like this

Like post above would suggest a rotary switch and those resistors to get the colors that you are trying to acheive

working on same project of doing color changing saber for kids room

The ones I got "show" that they are common cathode, but they are in fact, common anode. I was aware of this when I ordered them.

If I had wired the LED according to the silkscreen on the star, it would have, at best, not worked. At worst, blown the LED from reverse voltage.

You will want to be sure about this.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Ahh, the beauty of LEDs, as diodes, they can't be destroyed by backwards hooking up.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent