Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ultima - A Custom CF 4.3 saber in OSPP

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Ultima - A Custom CF 4.3 saber in OSPP

Hello Saberfans ;

We often get requests for variants of our past works, and quite a bit of our build log is exactly that. We don't usually post all of the variants of a design, cause frankly once you've seen it...well you've seen it. Once in a while though we get requests for sabers that combine multiple past designs and the work ends up taking on a life of its own and comes out truly breathtaking. With that in mind we give you Ultima.

This saber was a combined design of our past works: Morningstar, and Algor Equitas. The customer loved the sleek look of Algor's front end with the textured grip area and crystal chamber of Morningstar. You can see the two original sabers here:

The Morningstar was done back in '09 and had strong influences taken from the Mace Windu saber. The inlaid grip strips, the textured grip pad, the raised rings in the middle of the hilt and the general shape of the rear overlay were all retained for this new design. We went with a different material for the grip pad this time, opting for something that would fit more flush with the overlay and not stick out as much. Another feature on this saber, which I'm sure some have already noticed is the purple recessed AV switch. We had a borked AV switch and I have been wanting to try replacing the LED inside with a purple LED since the very beginning. If you've been around a while, AV switches in general are not available in purple. Sure there's that one model available from that PC place, but they're huge (i.e. not recess-able) and not very bright. We also hadn't until about 6 months ago found any small 3mm purple LEDs. Most of the 3mm 'purple' LEDs out there are actually UV. It didn't matter where you bought them, they're all the same shade of UV *looks disgustedly at drawer full of about 800 UV 3mm LEDs*.

This saber also features a crystal chamber, and like all of our crystal chambers, it uses a real quartz crystal. The chamber is housed at the front of the chassis and tucked underneath the switch, LEDs and recharge port. I used a sheet metal 'cap' to the chamber top so as to not see the wires and LEDs from the window. What resulted was a very clean crystal chamber that allows the eye to focus on the crystal itself and not all the 'stuff' that would normally be seen above or through it.

Quick Specs:

Custom machined hilt in the vein of Morningstar and Algor Equitas
    Handcut overlays
    Rubber inlaid grip strips and pad
    Recessed custom purple AV switch
    Recessed accent LEDs
    Crystal Chamber
    Crystal Focus 4.31
    LEDengin 10W RGBW wired for OSPP and FoC

Pics:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3C6qMOx8dU

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Very elegant & clean, quite a beautiful design. *bows*

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Blog Entries

love it!!!!

Of everything you've ever done this is my favourite so far. Not because of any one feature but just the way they all 'flow' together into a saber that seems truly 'futuristic' imo.

If there is ever a SW saga set in the far future, as KOTOR was the far past, of the SW Galaxy then THIS saber design would fit in perfectly thousands of years ABY.

This is a perfect example of why I love the work from Vader's Vault. Absolutely gorgeous.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

All that I can say is I absolutely love the depth of this saber.. the shroud.. the cut outs.. the crystal chamber.. the OMG "first time ever" custom modded real purple AV switch.. yeah 6.5/5 (is being nice to the competition)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Best from you so far.

I love the emitter. It's simple but it looks cool. The shroud is almost equally awesome as well.

Looks really good - flows nicely!
    Yub Yub Commander.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks guys! It is probably my current favorite hilt as well.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow Fender, this is definitely one of the best I have seen you make. It is cool to see how your machining skills have gone from good to great! Does this saber have the easy access sd card?
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...